Research interests: Organic Synthesis, Chemical Biology, Drug discovery and delivery
- Synthesis of biologically important natural products and their analogues.
- Studies of small molecule modulation of Hedgehog signaling pathway in tissue culture and studies of Hedgehog dependent physiology using “zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model organism.
- Synthesis of artificial amino acids and nucleic acids for biological probes.
- Synthesis and evaluation of antisense properties of cell-penetrating morpholino oligonucleotides in cancers targeting hedgehog signaling pathway
- Non-peptide-based molecular transporter used for drug, peptide and biomolecules delivery.
- Antisense-based therapy for the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD)
- Sinha, S.; Pattanayak, S.; Paul, S.; Nandi, B. Morpholino based antisense agent. WO 2011/018798, Granted US 9,914,745B2, date of patent March 13, 2018.
- Sinha, S.; Pattanayak, S. Substituted Internal Ologo-Guanidines As Cellular Penetrating Agents. 71/KOL/2013 dated 21 January 2013.
- Sinha, S.; Das, S.; Banerjee, T.; Paul, S. Isoquinuclidine Derivatives as Antinociceptive Agents for Pain Relief. 946/KOL/2014 dated 16.09.2014.
- Sinha, S.; Bhadra, J.; Pattanayak, S.; Kundu, J. OLIGO-GUANIDINES composed of heterocyclic rings with hydrophobic/ lipophilic group at the N-terminal based cellular transporter for effective delivery of nonpenetrable cargos in vitro and in vivo 1328/KOL/2015, 23.12.2015.
- MMTr-protected H-phosphonate monomers and MMTr-deprotection by organic acids are the right combination of morpholino oligonucleotides synthesis (Patent Application No. as 201631037420, 2nd November, 2016)al Unicode MS";mso-ansi-language:EN-IN;mso-fareast-language: EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA'>Patent Application No. as 201631037420, 2nd November, 2016).
- Chen, James K.; Sinha, Surajit; Shestopalov, Ilya; Ouyang, Xiaohu. Photocleavable linker methods and compositions. Granted US 7.923,562 B2 April 2011
Nandi, B.; Pattanayak, S.; Paul, S.; Kundu, J. and Sinha, S. Synthesis of nucleobase-functionalized morpholino monomers. Methods in Molecular Biology (Accepted on 30th September 2018).
From Ph.D & Post Doctoral Work:
- Ouyang, X.; Shestopalov, I. A.; Sinha, S.; Zheng, G.; Pitt, C. L. W.; Li, W. H.; Olson, A. J.; James K. Chen. “Versatile Synthesis and Rational Design of Caged Morpholinos” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 13255–13269.
- Hyman, J. M.; Firestone, A. J.; Heine, V. M.; Zhao, Y.; Ocasio, C. A.; Han, K.; Sun, M.; Rack, P. G.; Surajit Sinha; Wu, J. J.; Solow-Cordero, D. E.; Jiang, J.; Rowitch, D. H.; James K. Chen. “Small-molecule inhibitors reveal multiple strategies for Hedgehog pathway blockade.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 2009, 106, 14132 – 14137.
- Cupido, T.; Rack, P. G.; Firestone, A. J.; Hyman, J. M.; Han, K.; Surajit Sinha; Ocasio, C. A. and James K. Chen. “The Imidazopyridine Derivative JK184 Reveals Dual Roles for Microtubules in Hedgehog Signaling.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 2321 – 2324.
- Shestopalov, I. A.; Sinha, S.; Chen, J. K. “Light-controlled gene silencing in zebrafish embryos.” Nature Chemical Biology. 2007, 3, 650 – 651 (Authors contributed equally).(It was cited by the Faculty of 1000 as a "must read" with an F1000 factor of 6.4 and won ‘2008 NIH Pioneer Awards’).
- Sinha, S.; Chen, J. K. “Purmorphamine activates the hedgehog pathway by targeting smoothened.” Nature Chemical Biology. 2006, 2, 29 – 30 (Work appeared as a news and views in this issue).
- Switzer, C.; Sinha S.; Kim, P. H.; Heuberger, B. D. “A purine-like Nickel (II) base-pair for DNA.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2005, 44, 1529 – 1532. (Hot off the Press, Mol. BioSyst. 2005, 1, 109 -111).
- Sinha S.; Kim, P. H.; Switzer, C. “2’-5’-linked DNA is a template for polymerase-directed DNA synthesis.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 40-41.
- Chaput, J. C.; Sinha, S.; Switzer, C. “5-Propynyluracil diaminopurine: an efficient base-pair for non-enzymatic transcription of DNA.” Chem. Commun. 2002, 1568 - 1569.
- Sinha, S.; Tilve, S.; Chandrasekaran, S. “A convenient synthesis of trans -3-