Research interests: Organic Synthesis, Chemical Biology, Drug discovery and delivery
- Synthesis of biologically important natural products and their analogues.
- Studies of small molecule modulation of Hedgehog signaling pathway in tissue culture and studies of Hedgehog dependent physiology using “zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model organism.
- Synthesis of artificial amino acids and nucleic acids for biological probes.
- Synthesis and evaluation of antisense properties of cell-penetrating morpholino oligonucleotides in cancers targeting hedgehog signaling pathway
- Non-peptide-based molecular transporter used for drug, peptide and biomolecules delivery.
- Antisense-based therapy for the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD)
- Sinha, S.; Pattanayak, S.; Paul, S.; Nandi, B. Morpholino based antisense agent. WO 2011/018798, Granted US 9,914,745B2, date of patent March 13, 2018.
- Sinha, S.; Pattanayak, S. Substituted Internal Ologo-Guanidines As Cellular Penetrating Agents. 71/KOL/2013 dated 21 January 2013.
- Sinha, S.; Das, S.; Banerjee, T.; Paul, S. Isoquinuclidine Derivatives as Antinociceptive Agents for Pain Relief. 946/KOL/2014 dated 16.09.2014.
- Sinha, S.; Bhadra, J.; Pattanayak, S.; Kundu, J. OLIGO-GUANIDINES composed of heterocyclic rings with hydrophobic/ lipophilic group at the N-terminal based cellular transporter for effective delivery of nonpenetrable cargos in vitro and in vivo 1328/KOL/2015, 23.12.2015.
- MMTr-protected H-phosphonate monomers and MMTr-deprotection by organic acids are the right combination of morpholino oligonucleotides synthesis (Patent Application No. as 201631037420, 2nd November, 2016)al Unicode MS";mso-ansi-language:EN-IN;mso-fareast-language: EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA'>Patent Application No. as 201631037420, 2nd November, 2016).
- Chen, James K.; Sinha, Surajit; Shestopalov, Ilya; Ouyang, Xiaohu. Photocleavable linker methods and compositions. Granted US 7.923,562 B2 April 2011
Nandi, B.; Pattanayak, S.; Paul, S.; Kundu, J. and Sinha, S. Synthesis of nucleobase-functionalized morpholino monomers. Methods in Molecular Biology (Accepted on 30th September 2018).
From Ph.D & Post Doctoral Work:
- Ouyang, X.; Shestopalov, I. A.; Sinha, S.; Zheng, G.; Pitt, C. L. W.; Li, W. H.; Olson, A. J.; James K. Chen. “Versatile Synthesis and Rational Design of Caged Morpholinos” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 13255–13269.
- Hyman, J. M.; Firestone, A. J.; Heine, V. M.; Zhao, Y.; Ocasio, C. A.; Han, K.; Sun, M.; Rack, P. G.; Surajit Sinha; Wu, J. J.; Solow-Cordero, D. E.; Jiang, J.; Rowitch, D. H.; James K. Chen. “Small-molecule inhibitors reveal multiple strategies for Hedgehog pathway blockade.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 2009, 106, 14132 – 14137.
- Cupido, T.; Rack, P. G.; Firestone, A. J.; Hyman, J. M.; Han, K.; Surajit Sinha; Ocasio, C. A. and James K. Chen. “The Imidazopyridine Derivative JK184 Reveals Dual Roles for Microtubules in Hedgehog Signaling.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 2321 – 2324.
- Shestopalov, I. A.; Sinha, S.; Chen, J. K. “Light-controlled gene silencing in zebrafish embryos.” Nature Chemical Biology. 2007, 3, 650 – 651 (Authors contributed equally).(It was cited by the Faculty of 1000 as a "must read" with an F1000 factor of 6.4 and won ‘2008 NIH Pioneer Awards’).
- Sinha, S.; Chen, J. K. “Purmorphamine activates the hedgehog pathway by targeting smoothened.” Nature Chemical Biology. 2006, 2, 29 – 30 (Work appeared as a news and views in this issue).
- Switzer, C.; Sinha S.; Kim, P. H.; Heuberger, B. D. “A purine-like Nickel (II) base-pair for DNA.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2005, 44, 1529 – 1532. (Hot off the Press, Mol. BioSyst. 2005, 1, 109 -111).
- Sinha S.; Kim, P. H.; Switzer, C. “2’-5’-linked DNA is a template for polymerase-directed DNA synthesis.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 40-41.
- Chaput, J. C.; Sinha, S.; Switzer, C. “5-Propynyluracil diaminopurine: an efficient base-pair for non-enzymatic transcription of DNA.” Chem. Commun. 2002, 1568 - 1569.
- Sinha, S.; Tilve, S.; Chandrasekaran, S. “A convenient synthesis of trans -3-hydroxy-L-proline.” ARKIVOC (Gainesville, FL, United States). 2005, 11, 209-217.
- Bhat, R. G.; Sinha, S.; Chandrasekaran, S. “Propargyloxycarbonyl (Poc) amino acid chlorides as efficient coupling reagents for the synthesis of 100% diastereopure peptides and resin bound tetrathiomolybdate as an effective deblocking agent for the Poc group.” Chem. Commun. 2002, 812-813.
- Sridhar, P. R.; Sinha, S.; Chandrasekaran, S. “Highly selective deprotection of tert-butyl esters using ytterbium triflate as a catalyst under mild conditions.” Indian Journal of Chemistry, Section B, 2002, 41B(1), 157-160.
- Sinha, S.; Mandal, B.; Chandrasekaran, S. “Insertion of ethyl acetate to aromatic compounds by means of Friedel-Crafts reaction with a-chloro-a-(ethylthio)-acetate catalyzed by ytterbium triflate.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2000, 41, 9109-9112.
- Sinha, S.; Mandal, B.; Chandrasekaran, S. “Selective para metalation of 3-methoxy and 3,5-dimethoxy benzoic acids with LIC-KOR: synthesis of 3,5-dimethoxy-4-methyl benzoic acid.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2000, 41, 3157-60.
- Sinha, S.; Ilankumaran, P.; Chandrasekaran, S. “The prop-2-ynyloxy carbonyl function (POC): a new amino-protecting group removable from sulfur-containing peptides by ultrasonic irradiation with tetrathiomolybdate under mild and neutral conditions.” Tetrahedron Lett. 1999, 40, 771-774.
- Ravikumar, K. S.; Sinha, S.; Chandrasekaran, S. “Diastereoselectivity in the reduction of acyclic carbonyl compounds with diisopropoxytitanium(III) tetrahydroborate.” J. Org. Chem. 1999, 64, 5841-5844.
- Sinha, S.; Ilankumaran, P.; Chandrasekaran, S. “One pot conversion of alcohols to disulfides mediated by tetrathiomolybdate.” Tetrahedron. 1999, 55, 14769-14776.
- Cellular transporter for the delivery of antisense reagents in vitro and in vivo zebrafish model” in International Conference on Molecular Signaling: Recent Trends in Biosciences, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong, Department of Zoology, 20th to 22nd November 2015.
- Refresher Course in Chemistry at Department of Chemistry, University of Calcutta, August 10 to August 31, 2015 on “Application of Larock Heteroannulation Toward the Synthesis of Ibogaine and its Analogue, a Possible Substitute of Morphine” on 25 August 2015.
- Inventory of Pharmaceutically Important Compounds, Aix Marseille University, Biology, 4th June 2015.
- Inventory of Pharmaceutically Important Compounds, Aix Marseille University, Chemistry, 2nd June 2015.
- Synthesis of Biologically Important Artificial Amino Acids, Aix Marseille University, Chemistry, 27th May 2015.
- Evolution of Teaching and Research in Chemistry at Department of Chemistry, University of Calcutta, March 30 to April 22, 2015 on “Pain Relief Properties of Ibogaine-Analogue, A Possible Substitute of Morphine” 4th April, 2015.
- “Organic Synthesis for Drug Industry” IICT, Hyderabad, 17th March 2015
- Recent Trends in Chemistry with Reference to Teaching and Research at Department of Chemistry, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan 13th & 14th March, 2015 on “Ibogaine-Analogue as Antinociceptive Agents for Pain Relief: Possible Substitute of Morphine” 14th March.
- International Conference on Molecular Signaling: Recent Trends in Biomedical and Translational Research at IIT Roorkee, organized by IIT Roorkee, JNU and NII. 17th to 19th December 2014, on “Cationic morpholino antisense oligomer conjugate: Cellular uptake and gene silencing in in vitro and in vivo zebrafish model”.
- 2nd International Meet on Advanced Studies on Cell Signaling Network, organized by IICB, Kolkata, 13th to 15th December 2014, on “Small-Molecule-Mediated Inhibition of Hedgehog Signaling Pathway Via Actin Destabilization”.
- KALEIDOSCOPE: A Discussion Meeting in Chemistry. 3rd to 6th July 2014, The International Center Goa, Organized by IIT, Mumbai on “Chemical Modulation of Hedgehog Signaling Pathway in Cell Culture and in Zebrafish Model”.
- Science Day Celebration at Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science. “Towards the Achievement of Morpholino-based Gene Therapy for Cancers”. 28th Feb. 2014.
- Science Day Celebration at Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science. Popular Lecture on “DNA, Cancer and Therapies”. 26th Feb. 2014.
- 2nd International Conference on ANGIOGENESIS: Theragnostics in Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases (Jointly Organized by NCCS, Pune and KIIT, Bhubaneswar), 2nd to 4th February 2014, KIIT University. Lecture on “Small molecule-mediated inhibition of hedgehog signaling pathway via actin destabilization and inhibition of Gli1 in cancer cells”.
- Society of Biological Chemistry (Kolkata) Meeting at Shankarpur, August 23-25, 2013, Organized by IICB and Bose Institute. Lecture on “Towards the Development of Self Penetrating Antisense Morpholino Oligomers”.
- Department of Zoology, Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan, 18th – 21st February, 2013 “International Symposium on Molecular Signaling” and lecture on “Cell Penetrating Morpholino Oligomers Mediated Gene Silencing”.
- Science City, Kolkata, 8th – 11th November, 2012 in 81th Annual Meeting, Society of Biological Chemists (India) & Symposium on “Chemistry & Biology, Two Weapons Against Diseases” and Lecture on “Design, Synthesis and Antisense Properties of Cationic Morpholino Nucleotides” .
- Department of Zoology, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan, held in Shankarpur, Digha, December 25th to 27th, 2011, “Symposium on recent trends in cellular & molecular signaling” on “Cationic morpholino-oligonucleotide-based antisense reagents”.
- IACS and Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata, December 2-3rd, 2011 “An Interdisciplinary approach to soft-matter and biological physics (IASBP 2011)” on “Towards the development of cell-transfectable morpholino-based antisense reagents”.