- About Us +
- About Us
- Award and Accolade
- New Award
- Nobel Prize
- TWAS Prize
- SS Bhatnagar Prize
- B M Birla Science Prize
- Fellow of the Royal Society
- Fellow of the TWAS
- Fellow of the INSA (FNA)
- Fellow Academy of Sciences (FASc)
- Fellow National Academy of Sciences (FNASc)
- CSIR Medal
- INSA Medal
- CRSI Medal
- MRSI Medal
- INSA Award/Honour/Fellowship
- DST Award/Honour/Fellowship
- CSIR Award/Honour/Fellowship
- Organisational Hierarchy
- Audio Visual Gallery
- Annual Report
- Contact Us
- Schools +
- Resource +
- Centre for Computer Research, Education and Services
- Indian Journal of Physics
- Seminar Hall
- Guest House
- Digital Repository
- Oracle-ERP and UMS User's Manual
- Administrative Form
- Joining Kit
- Medical Cell
- Regulation and Forms for Ph.D
- Regulations for BS-MS
- Regulations for MS and Integrated MS-PhD
- Academics +
- Academic Program
- IACS Colloquium
- University Management System
- Composition of Academic Council
- Academic Coordinator
- Administration +
- People +
- Outreach +
- Activity Center +
- Research +
BRINDABAN CHANDRA RANU
INSA Honorary Scientist
School of Chemical Sciences
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
Jadavpur, Kolkata 700 032, India
E-mail : email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +91-33-24734971 ( Ext. 1404 )
Short Bio-data :
Professor Brindaban C. Ranu received his early education in Calcutta University. In graduate studies he worked with Professor Ernest Wenkert at Rice University , Houston, Texas, USA and with Professor U.R. Ghatak at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Calcutta. He then took up a postdoctoral position at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, USA with Professor T. Hudlicky. He started independent research at the department of Organic Chemistry, IACS in 1985 as a Lecturer and was promoted to the posts of Professor in 1996 and Senior Professor in 2006. He served as Head of the Organic Chemistry department during 2003-2008. He retired in July, 2013 and currently he is continuing as INSA Honorary Scientist in the School of Chemical Sciences. He was a visiting Professor at Universidad de Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain during 1995-96. Professor Ranu has been elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences in 1995, Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy in 2008 and J C Bose National Fellow (Govt. of India) in 2009. He has received Prof. N. S. Narasimhan Award in Chemistry in 1993, Chemical Research Society Bronze Medal in 2001 and Silver Medal in 2010. He has also received Sir J C Ghosh Endowment award offered by Indian Chemical Society in 2018. During last few years Professor Ranu visited several Universities and Institutes in different countries including USA, UK, France, Germany, Russia, Spain, Australia, Taiwan, China, Japan, Egypt, Brazil and delivered lectures in conferences and in Institutes. He has contributed several reviews for various journals and Chapters in books published by Royal Society of Chemistry, Wiley, Elsevier. Recently Professor Ranu along with Professor Achim Stolle edited a book, ‘Ball Milling towards Green Synthesis – Applications, Projects, Challenges’ published by Royal Society of Chemistry, UK. He has published more than 296 papers in journals of international repute earning a good citation with h-index of 67 and so far 36 students have been awarded Ph.D. degree under his supervision.
Awards and Fellowship :
- Received Professor NS Narasimhan Award in 1993
- Received Chemical Research Society of India Silver Medal in 2010
- Elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences in 1995
- Elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy in 2008
- Received J. C. Bose National Fellowship (DST, Govt. of India) in 2009
- Received Sir J C Ghosh Endowment Award in 2018 offered by Indian Chemical Society
- Received Professor O P Vig Endowment Award in 2022 offered by Panjab University
Current Research Area :
Use of Green Tools such as Ball-milling and Visible Light in Organic Synthesis (collaboration with Ural Federal University, Ekaterinburg, Russia)
Recent Important Publications :
- Mechanochemical synthesis of coumarins via Pechmann condensation under solvent-free conditions: An easy access to coumarins and annulated pyrano[2,3-f] and [3,2-f]indoles- A. D. Sharapov,a R. F. Fatykhov,a I. A. Khalymbadzha,*ab V. V. Sharutin,c S. Santra,*a G. V. Zyryanov,a,b O. N. Chupakhina,b and B. C. Ranu, Green Chemistry, 2022, 24, 2429.
- Learning Green Chemistry and its Principles from Nature’s Process and Development of Green Procedures Mimicking Nature – B. C. Ranu, L. Adak, T. Ghosh, Chemistry Teacher International, 2021, 23. https://doi.org/10.1515/cti-2021-0023
- Synthesis of Organosulfur and Related Heterocycles under Mechano-chemical Conditions – T. Chatterjee and B. C. Ranu, J. Org. Chem., 2021, 86, 13895.
- Ball-milling: An efficient and green approach for asymmetric organic synthesis – I. N. Egorov, S. Santra, D. S. Kopchuk, I. S. Kovalev, G. V. Zyryanov, A. Majee, B. C. Ranu, Vl. L. Rusinov, O. N. Chupakhin – Green Chem., 2020, 22, 302-315.
- Recent Advances on Diverse Decarboxylative Reactions of Amino Acids – M. Rahman, A. Mukherjee, I. Kovalev, D. Kopchuk, G. Zyryanov, M. V. Tsurkan, A. Majee, B. Ranu, V. N. Charushin, O. Chupakhin, S. Santra, Adv. Synth. Catal. 2019, 361, 2161.
- Palladium-Catalyzed Ligand-Free Decarboxylative Coupling of α-Oxocarboxylic Acid with Aryl Diazonium Tetrafluoroborate: An Access to Unsymmetrical Diaryl Ketones – S. Panja, P. Maity, B. C. Ranu, J. Org. Chem. 2018, 83, 12609.
- Cobalt Catalyzed Remote C-4 Functionalization of 8-Aminoquinoline Amides with Ethers via C-H Activation under Visible Light Irradiation. Access to α-Hetero-Arylated Ether Derivatives – T.Ghosh, P. Maity, B. C. Ranu, Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 1011.
- Transition Metal-Free Iodine Catalyzed Selenocayanation of Styrenyl Bromides and an Easy access to Benzoselenophenes via Intermediacy of Styrenyl Selenocyanate – P. Maity, B. Paroi, B. C. Ranu, Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 5748.
- Palladium Catalyzed Decarboxylative Selective Acylation of 4H-benzo[d][1,3]oxazin-4-one Derivatives with α-Oxocarboxylic acids via Preferential Cyclic Imine-N-directed Aryl C-H Activation – B. Majhi, D. Kundu, T. Ghosh, B. C. Ranu, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2016, 358, 283.
- Cobalt Catalyzed Intermolecular C(sp2)-O Cross-Coupling – D.Kundu, M. Tripathy, P. Maity and B. C. Ranu, Chem-Euro J. 2015, 21, 000.
- Ball Milling Towards Green Synthesis: Applications, Projects and Challenges, Ed. Brindaban Ranu and Achim Stolle, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, 2015.
Brindaban Chandra Ranu