Our group El Nano
- What happens to magnetism if you thin your magnet down to few atomic layer? "At any non-zero temperature, a one- or two-dimensional isotropic spin-S Heisenberg model with finite-range exchange interaction can be neither ferromagnetic nor antiferromagnetic."- Phys. Rev. Lett. (1966) by N. D. Mermin and H. Wagner. But what happens when we have "anisotropy" in the system -->Two-dimensional (2D) Magnetism - atomic layer magnetic materials (Ferro/antiferro)
- And what happens when you stack your "thin" magnet on another "exotic" order! - Heterostructure with magnet and topological insulator - magnetic topological insulator
- Can we control/manipulate elementary excitations (magnon/s) in magnets via electric/magnetic field?
- Probing quasi 1D edge states of layered 2D semiconductor/insulator - 1D/2D vdW heterostructure
- Nanospintronics - Spin transport in quantum dots and 2D materials
- Hybrid 2D materials (Graphene, 2D TMDCs, etc.)
- Sample growth - Chemical Vapor Transport, Solid State Reaction
- Fabrication of devices: Lithography (e-beam, optical), Thermal evaporation, Sputtering
- Chemical Vapor Transport for sample growth [SERB]
- Thermal Evaporator
- Wire bonder [Seed grant]
- Low-temperature cryostat (10 K - 300 K) [SERB]
- Probe station and accessories for electrical transport measurement [SERB]
Central Facility, IACS:
- Raman spectroscopy - temperature dependent
- e-beam lithography
- SQUID, PPMS, Dielectric Measurement
- Atomic Force Microscopy
- Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope
Ms. Anudeepa Ghosh (SRF, Institute Fellow) - working on layered antiferromagnets [e-mail: email@example.com], BSc - CU, MSc - BHU. Selected Publication/s: Phys. Rev. B 103, 064431 (2021)
Mr. Sujan Maity (SRF, INSPIRE) - working on magnetic vdW heterostructures [e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org], BSc - WBSU, MSc - IIT Guwahati.
Mr. Bikash Das (Int. PhD) - working on layered ferromagnets and local electronic transport properties. [e-mail: email@example.com], BSc - Burdwan University, MSc - IACS. Selected Publication/s: ACS Nano (2021) [https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.1c08212]
Mr. Rahul Paramanik (JRF) - working on Microelectronic Devices. [e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org]. BSc - Burdwan University, MSc - ISM Dhanbad.
Ms. Tanima Kundu (JRF, INSPIRE) - working on magnetic semiconductors and related devices. [e-mail: email@example.com], BSc - Burdwan University, MSc - Burdwan University.
Dr. Mainak Palit (RA1) - Raman Spectroscopy and device physics. [e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org], PhD - CRNN, CU. Selected Publication/s: Phys. Rev. B 104, 134437 (2021)
Dr. Bipul Kumar Mahato (RA1) - Magnon dynamics in ferro/antiferromagnets. [e-mail: email@example.com], PhD - SNBNCBS
Dr. Subrata Ghosh (RA1) - Magnetocaloric Effect - [e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org], PhD - SNBNCBS
Recent grant (2022 - ): CRG/2021/004334, Total cost: 49,12,920 INR (SERB) + 24,75,000 INR (Inst equipment 50% share), Title: Two-dimensional Magnets under Extreme Conditions: Manipulation of Electronic and Magnetic Order
Institute Funding - Seed grant, Annual grant, Individual grant
- DST-SERB grant No. ECR/2017/002037
- UGC-DAE CSR grant No. CRS-M-279
- Support from the Technical Research Centre (TRC), IACS
- Theory: Prof. Arghya Tarafdar (IIT, Kharagpur), Prof. Liping Yu (Univ. of Maine), Dr. Dibyendu Dey (Univ. of Maine), Dr. Kapildeb Dolui (Univ. of Delaware), Milena Grifoni (Universität Regensburg)
- Experiment: LNCMI (Grenoble), IUC (Indore), BARC
Prof, Achintya Singha (Bose Institute), Prof. Krishnakumar SR Menon (SINP), Dr. Atindra Nath Pal (SNBNCBS), Prof. Sudip Malik (IACS), Dr. Mintu Mondal (IACS)
You can reach me via email: email@example.com
You will find me at Lab 116E, IACS, Main Building
Homepage Figure: Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy image of home grown FePS3 (vdW antiferromagnet) flakes on viscoelastic substrate.