Design & Synthesis of New Surfactants: Bolaamphiphiles, Gemini Surfactants, Ion-paired Amphiphiles, Metallo-surfactants, Multi-headed Surfactants; Monolayer films etc.
 Supramolecular Chemistry:
Molecular Design of Soft Materials: Investigation of the resulting materials using a variety of physical methods, e.g., rheology, probe-fluorescence, SANS, SAXS, XRD, DSC, AFM / SEM / TEM / CFM / POM etc.
Hydrogels & Organogels: The evolution and design of new gelators & characterization of the resulting gels.
Notable Applications with Gels: Phase-selective gelation; Gels for sustained pheromone release toward live insect control in fruit orchard.
Molecular Probes: Sensors and probes for analytical & bio-analytical chemistry. Detection of biologically relevant species and environmentally hazardous ions and materials at nanogram level.
 Nanoscience & Technology:
Nanobiotechnology and its applications in Agriculture, Nanomedicine
PhD (1988): Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA (Advisor: Prof. Robert. A. Moss)
Since April 22, 2015: Director and Senior Professor, Director's Research Unit, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata (on deputation from Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Banaglore)
1/2012 - April 21, 2015: Chairman – Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science
Since 2001: Professor – Indian Institute of Science
1996-2001: Associate Professor – Indian Institute of Science
1991-1996: Assistant Professor – Indian Institute of Science
1988-1991: Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA (Prof. Har Gobind Khorana, Nobel Laureate)
Research Associate I under TRC
Gene and/or drug delivery and knockdown
Research Associate I
Lipids and membrane biophysics
Scientist D under TRC
Discovery and structure-activity relationship of protein inhibitors, Development of biomedical devices and New science and engineering for agricultural pest management and precision farming
DST Inspire Faculty
Supramolecular chemistry, Organic framework (COFs, COPs, CMP) synthesis and their energy applications, Organic electronic materials based on chiral hetero doped graphene nanoribbons email@example.com
Senior Research Fellow
Porous Organic Framework, Metal Organic Framework, Conjugated Microporous Polymer for Biological, Energy and heterogeneous catalysis.
Bidhan Chandra Patra
Senior Research Fellow
Synthesis and Characterization of Porous Organic Frameworks and Their Potential Applications
Senior Research Fellow
Syntheses and characterization of novel materials for theranostics
Senior Research Fellow
Stimuli responsive supramolecular self assemblies and their applications in nanobiotechnology
Senior Research Fellow
Exploring noble biocompatible delivery vehicles for anti-bacterial and anti-tumor therapeutics.
Junior Research Fellow
Exploring noble biocompatible delivery vehicles for anti-tumor therapeutics.
Junior Research Fellow
Exploring polymeric biocompatible delivery vehicles for various applications
Junior Research Fellow
Biological membrane and related science
Junior Research Fellow
Exploring noble biocompatible delivery vehicles for anti-fungal and anti-tumor therapeutics
List of Publications in 2019:
274. N. Dey, D. Biswakarma, S. Bhattacharya, Metal Complex as an Optical Sensing Platform for Rapid Multimodal Recognition of a Pathogenic Biomarker in Real-Life Samples, ACS Sus. Chem. Eng., 7, 569-577 (2019).
273. N. Dey, N. Kumari, D. Biswakarma, S. Jha, S. Bhattacharya, Colorimetric indicators for specific recognition of Cu2+ and Hg2+ in physiological media: Effect of variations of signaling unit on optical response, Inorg. Chim. Acta, 487, 50-57 (2019).
272. B. Maiti, S. Bhattacharjee, S. Bhattacharya, Perfluoroarene induces a pentapeptidic hydrotrope into a pH-tolerant hydrogel allowing naked eye sensing of Ca2+ ions. Nanoscale, 11, 2223-2230 (2019).
271. N. Dey, A. Ali, M. Kamra, S. Bhattacharya, Simultaneous sensing of ferritin and apoferritin proteins using an iron-responsive dye and evaluation of physiological parameters associated with serum iron estimation, J. Mater. Chem. B: Materials for Biology and Medicine, 7, 986-993 (2019).
270. S. Bhunia, K. Bhunia, B. C. Patra, S. K. Das, D. Pradhan, A. Bhaumik, A. Pradhan, S. Bhattacharya, Efficacious Electrochemical Oxygen Evolution from a Novel Co(II) Porphyrin/Pyrene-Based Conjugated Microporous Polymer, ACS Appl. Mater. Inter., 11, 1520-1528 (2019).
269. A. Gulyani, N. Dey, S. Bhattacharya, Highly Responsive Fluorescent Assemblies Allow for Unique, Multiparametric Sensing of the Phospholipid Membrane Environment, Chem. Eur. J., 25, 1507-1514 (2019).
268. N. Dey, J. Kulhanek, F. Bures, S. Bhattacharya, Simultaneous Detection of Cu2+ and Hg2+ via Two Mutually Independent Sensing Pathways of Biimidazole Push-Pull Dye, J. Org. Chem., 84, 1787-1796 (2019).
List of Publications in 2016-2018:
267. N. Dey, B. Maji and S. Bhattacharya, A Versatile Probe for Caffeine Detection in Real-Life Samples via Excitation-Triggered Alteration in the Sensing Behavior of Fluorescent Organic Nanoaggregates, Anal. Chem. 90, 821-829 (2018).
266. N. Dey, S. Jha and S. Bhattacharya, Visual Detection of a Nerve Agent Simulant using Chemically Modified Paper Strips and Dye-Assembled Inorganic Nanocomposite, Analyst, 143, 528-535 (2018).
265. A. Gulyani, N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Tunable Emission from Fluorescent Organic Nanoparticles in Water: Insight into Nature of Self-Assembly and Photoswitching, Chem. Eur. J., 24, 2643-2652 (2018).
264. B. Maiti, K. Kumar, P. Moitra, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Reduction Responsive Nanovesicles Derived from Novel α-Tocopheryl-Lipoic Acid Conjugates for Efficacious Drug Delivery to Sensitive and Drug Resistant Cancer Cells, Bioconjugate Chem., 29, 255-266 (2018).
263. N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Trace level Al3+ detection in aqueous media utilizing luminescent ensembles comprising pyrene laced dynamic surfactant assembly, Dalton Trans., 47, 2352-2359 (2018).
262. N. Dey, B. Maji and S. Bhattacharya, Motion‐Induced Changes in Emission as an Effective Strategy for the Ratiometric Probing of Human Serum Albumin and Trypsin in Biological Fluids, Chem. Asian J.,13, 664-671 (2018).
261. B. Maiti, M. Kamra, A. A. Karande and S. Bhattacharya, Transfection efficiencies of α-tocopherylated cationic gemini lipids with hydroxyethyl bearing headgroups under high serum conditions, Org. Biomol. Chem., 16, 1983-1993 (2018).
260. M. H. Kaulage, B. Maji, S. Pasadi, A. Ali, S. Bhattacharya and K Muniyappa, Targeting G-quadruplex DNA structures in the telomere and oncogene promoter regions by benzimidazole‒carbazole ligands, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 148, 178-194 (2018).
259. M. H. Kaulage, S. Bhattacharya and K. Muniyappa, Structural Characterization of i‐Motif Structure in the Human Acetyl‐CoA Carboxylase 1 Gene Promoters and their Role in the Regulation of Gene Expression, ChemBioChem, 19, 1078-1087 (2018).
258. A. Gulyani, N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, A unique self-assembly-driven probe for sensing a lipid bilayer: ratiometric probing of vesicle to micelle transition, Chem. Commun., 54, 5122-5125 (2018).
257. S. Bhunia, N. Dey, A. Pradhan, S. Bhattacharya, A conjugated microporous polymer based visual sensing platform for aminoglycoside antibiotics in water, Chem. Commun., 54, 7495-7498 (2018).
256. N. Dey, N. Kumari, D. Bhagat, S. Bhattacharya, Smart optical probe for 'equipment-free' detection of oxalate in biological fluids and plant-derived food items, Tetrahedron, 74, 4457-4465 (2018).
255. N. Dey, D. Biswakarma, A. Gulyani, S. Bhattacharya, Microenvironment Sensitive Charge-Transfer Dye for Tandem Sensing of Multiple Analytes at Mesoscopic Interfaces, ACS Sus. Chem. Eng., 6, 12807-12816 (2018).
254. B. C. Patra, S. K. Das, A. Ghosh, A. K. Raj, P. Moitra, M. Addicoat, S. Mitra, A. Bhaumik, S. Bhattacharya, A. Pradhan, Covalent organic framework based microspheres as an anode material for rechargeable sodium batteries, J. Mater. Chem. A, 6, 16655-16663 (2018).
253. S. K. Samanta, G. S. Kumar, U. K. Ghorai, U. Scherf, S. Acharya, S. Bhattacharya, Synthesis of High Molecular Weight 1,4-Polynaphthalene for Solution-Processed True Color Blue Light Emitting Diode, Macromolecules, 51, 8324-8329 (2018).
252. N. Dey, D. Bhagat, D. Cherukaraveedu and S. Bhattacharya, Utilization of Red‐Light‐Emitting CdTe Nanoparticles for the Trace‐Level Detection of Harmful Herbicides in Adulterated Food and Agricultural Crops, Chem. Asian J., 12 (1), 76-85 (2017).
251. A. Ali, M. Kamra, S. Roy, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, Enhanced G-Quadruplex DNA Stabilization and Telomerase Inhibition by Novel Fluorescein Derived Salen and Salphen Based Ni (II) and Pd (II) Complexes, Bioconjugate Chem. 28 (2), 341-352 (2017).
250. P. Moitra, Y. Subramanian, and S. Bhattacharya, Concentration Dependent Self-Assembly of TrK-NGF Receptor Derived Tripeptide: New Insights from Experiment and Computer Simulations, J. Phys. Chem. B, 121 (4), 815-824 (2017).
249. A. Ali, V.R. Bovilla, D.K. Mysarla, P. Siripurapu, R.U. Pathak, B. Basu, A. Mamillapalli, and S. Bhattacharya, Knockdown of Broad-Complex Gene Expression of Bombyx mori by Oligopyrrole Carboxamides Enhances Silk Production, Sci Rep; 7:805 (2017). doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-00653-3.
248. N. Dey, S. Samanta, and S. Bhattacharya, Heparin triggered dose dependent multi-color emission switching in water: a convenient protocol for heparinase I estimation in real-life biological fluids, Chem. Commun. 53 (9), 1486-1489 (2017).
247. N Dey, A Ali, S Podder, S Majumdar, D Nandi and S. Bhattacharya, Dual‐Mode Optical Sensing of Histamine at Nanomolar Concentrations in Complex Biological fluids and Living Cells, Chem.-A Eur. J. 23, 11891–11897 (2017).
246. S Datta, N Dey and S Bhattacharya, Electrochemical probing of hydrogelation induced by the self-assembly of a donor–acceptor complex comprising pyranine and viologen, Chem. Commun. 53 (15), 2371-2374 (2017).
245. M. Bose, M. Kamra,, R. Mullick, S. Bhattacharya, S. Das, and A. A. Karande, A plant-derived dehydrorotenoid: a new inhibitor of hepatitis C virus entry. FEBS Lett. doi:10.1002/1873-3468.12629 (2017).
244. S Bhunia, SK Das, R Jana, SC Peter, S Bhattacharya, M Addicoat, A Bhaumik, and A. Pradhan, Electrochemical stimuli-driven facile metal-free hydrogen evolution from pyrene-porphyrin-based crystalline covalent organic framework, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9, 23843-23851 (2017).
243. N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Mimicking multivalent protein–carbohydrate interactions for monitoring the glucosamine level in biological fluids and pharmaceutical tablets, Chem. Commun. 53, 5392-5395 (2017).
242. M Bose, M Kamra, R Mullick, S Bhattacharya, S Das, and A. A. Karande, Identification of a flavonoid isolated from plum (Prunus domestica) as a potent inhibitor of Hepatitis C virus entry, Sci. Rep., 7, 3965 (2017).
241. N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Fluorescent Organic Nanoaggregates for Selective Recognition of D-(-)-Ribose in Biological Fluids and Oral Supplements, Chem. Eur. J., 23, 16547-16554, (2017).
240. N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Nanomolar Level Detection of Uric acid in Blood Serum and Pest-Infested Grain Samples by an Amphiphilic Probe, Anal. Chem., 89, 10376, (2017).
239. M. H. Kaulage, B. Maji, S. Pasadi, S. Bhattacharya and K. Muniyappa, Novel ruthenium azo-quinoline complexes with enhanced photonuclease activity in human cancer cells, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 139, 1016 (2017).
238. T. Hussain, D. Saha, G. Purohit, A. Kar, A. K. Mukherjee, S. Sharma, S. Sengupta, P. Dhapola, B. Maji, S. Vedagopuram, N. T. Horikoshi, N. Horikoshi, R. K. Pandita, S. Bhattacharya, A. Bajaj, J.-F. Riou, T. K. Pandita and S. Chowdhury, Transcription regulation of CDKN1A (p21/CIP1/WAF1) by TRF2 is epigenetically controlled through the REST repressor complex, Sci. Rep., 7, 11541 (2017).
237. P. Moitra, K. Kumar, S. Sarkar, P. Kondaiah, W. Duan and S. Bhattacharya, New pH-responsive gemini lipid derived co-liposomes for efficacious doxorubicin delivery to drug resistant cancer cells, Chem. Commun., 53, 8184 (2017).
236. K. K. Ghosh, B. Gupta, B and S. Bhattacharya, Metallosurfactant Aggregates as Catalysts for the Hydrolytic Cleavage of Carboxylate and Phosphate Esters, Curr. Organocatalysis, 3, 6 (2016).
235. S. Bhattacharjee and S. Bhattacharya, Remarkable role of C-I•••N halogen bonding in thixotropic ‘Halo’gel formation, Langmuir, 32, 4270 (2016).
234. S. K. Misra, P. Moitra, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Co-liposomes having anisamide tagged lipid and cholesteryltryptophan trigger enhanced gene transfection in sigma receptor positive cells, Colloids Surf., B: Biointerfaces, 142, 130 (2016).
233. M. Kaulage, B. Maji, J. Bhat, Y. Iwasaki, S. Chatterjee, S. Bhattacharya and K. Muniyappa, Discovery and structural characterization of G-quadruplex DNA in human acetyl-CoA carboxylase gene promoters: Its role in transcriptional regulation and as a therapeutic target for human disease, J. Med. Chem., 59, 5035 (2016).
232. S. Datta and S. Bhattacharya, Carbon-nanotube-mediated electrochemical transition in a redox-active supramolecular hydrogel derived from viologen and an L-alanine-based amphiphile, Chem. Eur. J., 22, 7524 (2016).
231. N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, A Glimpse of Our Journey into the Design of Optical Probes in Self-assembled Surfactant Aggregates, Chemical Record, 16, 1934 (2016).
230. A. Ali, A. M. Kamra, A. Bhan, S. Mandal and S. Bhattacharya, New Fe(III) and Co(II) salen complexes with pendant distamycins: selective targeting of cancer cells by DNA damage and mitochondrial pathways, Dalton Trans., 45, 9345 (2016).
229. S. Bhattacharjee, B. Maiti and S. Bhattacharya, First report of charge-transfer induced heat-set hydrogel. Structural insights and remarkable properties, Nanoscale, 8, 11224 (2016).
228. M. M.-Negro, K. Kumar, A. Barran-Berdon, S. Datta, P. Kondaiah, E. Junquera, S. Bhattacharya, E. Aicart, Efficient Cellular Knockdown Mediated by siRNA Nanovectors of Gemini Cationic Lipids Having Delocalizable Headgroups and Oligo-Oxyethylene Spacers, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 8, 22113 (2016).
227. S. Bhattacharjee, B. Maiti, D. Biswakarma and S. Bhattacharya, Gelation of Novel Pyrene-Cored Chiral Dendrimers: Dendritic Effect in Gelation and Shear Thinning Behavior, Macromol. Symposia, 369 (1), 14-18, (2016) [Invited Publication].
226. A. Ali, M. Kamra, S. Roy, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, Novel Oligopyrrole Carboxamide based Ni(II) and Pd(II) Salens, their Targeting of Human G-Quadruplex DNA and Selective Cancer Cell Toxicity, Chem. Asian J., 11(18), 2542-2554 (2016).
225. S. Bhattacharya and S. Samanta, Soft-nanocomposites of Nanoparticles and Nanocarbons with Supramolecular and Polymer Gels and their Applications, Chem. Rev., 116 (19), 11967-12028 (2016).
224. P. Moitra, D. Bhagat, R. Pratap and S. Bhattacharya, A novel bio-engineering approach to generate an eminent surface-functionalized template for selective detection of female sex pheromone of Helicoverpa armigera, Sci Rep.; 6: 37355 (2016) doi:10.1038/srep37355.
List of Publications in 2011-2015:
223. A. Ali, M. Bansal and S. Bhattacharya, Ligand 5,10,15,20-tetra(N-methyl-4-pyridyl)porphine (TMPyP4) prefers the parallel propeller-type human telomeric G-quadruplex DNA over its other polymorphs, J. Phys. Chem. B, 119, 5 (2015).
222. S. Adak, S. Datta, S. Bhattacharya, R. Banerjee, Imidazolium based ionic liquid type surfactant improves activity and thermal stability of lipase of Rhizopus oryzae, J. Mol. Catal. B-Enz., 119, 12 (2015).
221. K. Kumar, B. Maiti, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Efficacious gene silencing in serum and significant apoptotic activity induction by survivin downregulation mediated by new cationic gemini tocopheryl lipids, Mol. Pharm., 12, 351 (2015).
220. S. Adak, S. Datta, S. Bhattacharya, R. Banerjee, Role of spacer length in interaction between novel gemini imidazolium surfactants and Rhizopus oryzae lipase, Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 81, 560 (2015).
219. S. Bhattacharjee and S. Bhattacharya, Charge Transfer Induces Formation of Stimuli-Responsive, Chiral, Cohesive Vesicles-on-a-String that Eventually Turn into a Hydrogel, Chem. Asian J., 10, 572 (2015).
218. K. Kumar, A. L. Barrn-Berdn, S. Datta, M. Munoz-Ubeda, C. Aicart-Ramos, P. Kondaiah, E. Junquera, S. Bhattacharya andE. Aicart, A delocalizable cationic headgroup together with an oligo-oxyethylene spacer in gemini cationic lipids improves their biological activity as vectors of plasmid DNA, J. Mater. Chem. B, 3, 1495 (2015).
217. S. Datta and S. Bhattacharya, Differential Response of Cholesterol based Pyrimidine Systems with Oxyethylene type Spacers to Gelation and Mesogen Formation in the Presence of Alkali Metal Ions, Soft Matter 11, 1945 (2015).
216. K. Kumar, V. Gururaja, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Co-liposomes of Redox-Active Alkyl-Ferrocene Modified Low MW and DOPE for Efficacious Gene Delivery in Serum, J. Mater. Chem. B3, 2318 (2015).
215. K. Kumar, B. Maiti, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, α-Tocopherol derived lipid dimers as efficient gene transfection agents. Mechanistic insights into lipoplex internalization and therapeutic induction of apoptotic activity, Org. Biol. Chem., 13, 2444 (2015).
214. V. Gururaja, K. Singhania, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Efficacious redox-responsive gene delivery in serum by ferrocenylated monomeric and dimeric cationic cholesterols, Org. Biomol. Chem. 13, 4310 (2015).
213. S. Bhattacharjee, S.K. Samanta, P. Moitra, K. Pramoda, R. Kumar, S. Bhattacharya and C.N.R. Rao, Nanocomposite made of an Oligo(p-phenylenevinylene)-based Trihybrid Thixotropic Metallo(organo)gel comprising Nanoscale Metal–Organic Particles, Carbon Nanohorns, and Silver Nanoparticles, Chem. Eur. J., 21, 5467 (2015).
212. S. Datta and S. Bhattacharya, Multifarious facets of sugar-derived molecular gels: Molecular features, mechanisms of self-assembly and emerging applications, Chem. Soc. Rev., 44, 5596 (2015).
211. S. Bhattacharjee and S. Bhattacharya, Orotic acid as a useful supramolecular synthon for the fabrication of an OPV based hydrogel: Stoichiometry dependent injectable behavior, Chem. Commun, 51, 6765 (2015).
210. S. Bhattacharjee and S. Bhattacharya, Role of Synergistic pi-pi Stacking and X―H•••Cl (X = C, N, O) H-Bonding Interactions in Gelation and Gel Phase Crystallization, Chem. Commun, 51, 7019 (2015).
209. B. Maji, K. Kumar, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, New dimeric carbazole-benzimidazole mixed ligands for the stabilization of human telomeric G-quadruplex DNA and as telomerase inhibitors. A remarkable influence of the spacer, Org. Biomol. Chem., 13, 8335 (2015).
208. S. Datta and S. Bhattacharya, Ag+-induced reverse vesicle to helical fiber transformation in a self-assembly by adjusting the keto-enol equilibrium of a chiral salicylideneaniline, Chem. Commun., 51, 13929 (2015).
207. S. Datta, J. Biswas, and S. Bhattacharya, How does spacer length of imidazolium gemini surfactants control the fabrication of 2D-langmuir films of silver-nanoparticles at the air-water interface? J. Colloid Interface Sci. 430, 85 (2014).
206. S. Shigdar, Y. Li, S. Bhattacharya, M. O'Connor, C. Pu, J. Lin, T. Wang, D. Xiang, L. Kong, M. Q. Wei, Y. Zhu, S. Zhou, and W. Duan, Inflammation and Cancer Stem Cells, Cancer Lett. 345, 271 (2014).
205. N. Kumari, S. Jha and S. Bhattacharya, An Efficient Probe for Rapid Detection of Cyanide in Water at ppb level and Naked-Eye detection of the Endogenous Cyanide, Chem. Asian J. 9, 830 (2014).
204. N. Kumari, S. Jha, S. K Misra and S. Bhattacharya, A Probe for the Selective and Parts-per-Billion-Level Detection of Copper(II) and Mercury(II) using a Micellar medium and Its Utility in Cell Imaging, ChemPlusChem, 79, 1059 (2014).
203. P. Moitra, K. Kumar, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Efficacious Anticancer Drug Delivery Mediated by a pH-Sensitive Self-assembly of a Conserved Tripeptide Derived from Tyrosine Kinase NGF Receptor, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 53, 1113 (2014).
202. S. K Misra, S. Naz, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, A Cationic Cholesterol based Nanocarrier for the Delivery of p53-EGFP-C3 Plasmid to Cancer Cells, Biomaterials 35, 1334 (2014).
201. N. Kumari, N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Rhodamine based Dual Probes for Selective Detection of Mercury and Fluoride Ions in Water using Two Mutually Independent Sensing Pathways, Analyst 139, 2370 (2014).
200. N. Kumari, N. Dey, K. Kumar and S. Bhattacharya, Exclusive Detection of Pd(II) below Nano-molar level in Water: An Excellent Probe for Multiple Applications, Chem. Asian J., 9, 3174 (2014).
199. B. Maji, S. K. Samanta, and S. Bhattacharya, Role of pH Controlled DNA Secondary Structures in the Reversible Dispersion/Precipitation and Separation of Metallic and Semiconducting Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes, Nanoscale 6, 3721 (2014).
198. N. Kumari, N. Dey and S. Bhattacharya, Remarkable Role of Positional Isomers in the Design of Sensors for the Ratiometric Detection of Copper and Mercury Ions in Water, RSC Adv. 4, 4230 (2014).
197. A. Ali, and S. Bhattacharya, DNA Binders in Clinical Trials and Chemotherapy, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 22, 4506 (2014). [Invited Publication]
196. Mónica M. Ubeda, A. L. Barran Berdon, E. Aicart, E. Junquera, S. K. Misra, S. Datta, P. Kondaiah, S. Bhattacharya and E. Aicart, Cationic gemini lipids containing polyoxyethylene spacers as improved transfecting agents of plasmid DNA in cancer cells, J. Mater. Chem. B 2, 4640 (2014).
195. S. K. Misra, P. Kondaiah, S. Bhattacharya, D. Boturyn, and P. Dumy, Co-liposomes comprising a Lipidated Multivalent RGD-Peptide and a Cationic Gemini Cholesterol Induce Selective Gene Transfection in αvβ3 and αvβ5 Integrin Receptor-rich Cancer Cells, J. Mater. Chem. B 2, 5758 (2014).
194. B. Maji, and S. Bhattacharya, Advances in the Molecular Design of Potential Anticancer Agents via Targeting of Human Telomeric DNA, Chem. Commun., 50, 6422 (2014). [Invited FEATURE Article]
193. B. Maji, K. Kumar, M. Kaulage, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, Design and Synthesis of Novel Benzimidazole-Carbazole Derivatives for the Stabilization of Human Telomeric DNA, Telomerase Inhibition and their Selective Action on Cancer Cells, J. Med. Chem., 57, 6973 (2014).
192. S. Bhattacharjee and S. Bhattacharya, Pyridylenevinylene based Cu2+-Specific, Injectable Metallo(hydro)gel: Thixotropy and Nanoscale Metal-Organic Particles, Chem. Commun., 50, 11690 (2014).
191. S. Bhattacharjee and S. Bhattacharya, Phthalate Mediated Hydrogelation of a Pyrene based System: A Novel Scaffold for Shape-Persistent, Self-Healing Luminescent Soft Material, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2, 17889 (2014).
190. S. Bhattacharjee, S. Datta and S. Bhattacharya, Remarkable Regioisomer Control in the Hydrogel Formation from a Two-component Mixture of Pyridine-End Oligo (p-phenylenevinylene)s and N-Decanoyl L-Alanine, Chem.- Eur. J. 19, 16672 (2013).
189. S. Datta, S. K. Samanta and S. Bhattacharya, Induction of Supramolecular Chirality in Self-Assemblies of Lipophilic Pyrimidine Derivatives by the Choice of Amino acid Based Chiral Spacer, Chem.- Eur. J. 19, 11364 (2013).
188. S. Shigdar, J. Macdonald, M. O’Connor, T. Wang, D. Xiang, H. Al.Shamaileh, L. Qiao, M. Wei, S. Zhou, Y. Zhu, L. Kong, S. Bhattacharya, C. Li, and W. Duan, Aptamers as Theranostic Agents: Modifications, Serum Stability and Functionalisation, Sensors 13, 13624 (2013).
187. N. Dey, S. Samanta, and S. Bhattacharya, Selective and Efficient Detection of Nitro-Aromatic Explosives in Multiple Media including Water, Micelles, Organogel and Solid Support, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 8394 (2013).
186. S. K. Misra, J. Biswas, P. Kondaiah, and S. Bhattacharya, Gene Transfection in High Serum Levels: Case studies with New Cholesterol based Cationic Gemini Lipids, PLoS ONE 8(7): e68305 (2013). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0068305.
185. S. K. Misra, M. Muñoz-Ubeda, S. Datta, A.L. Barran-Berdon, C. Aicart-Ramos, P. Castro-Hartmann, P. Kondaiah, E. Junquera, S. Bhattacharya and E. Aicart, Effects of a Delocalizable Cation on the Headgroup of Gemini Lipids on the Lipoplex-type Nanoggregates Directly Formed from Plasmid DNA, Biomacromol.14, 3951 (2013).
184. N. Kumari, N. Dey, S. Jha and S. Bhattacharya, Ratiometric, Reversible and ppb Level Detection of Multiple Toxic Transition Metal ions using a Single Probe in Micellar media, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 2438 (2013).
183. D. Bhagat, S. K. Samanta and S. Bhattacharya, Efficient Management of Fruit Pests by Pheromone Nanogels, Sci. Rep. 3, doi:10.1038/srep01294, Article Number: 1294, (2013).
182. S. K. Samanta and S. Bhattacharya, Excellent Chirality Transcription in Two-Component Photochromic Organogels Assembled through J-Aggregation, Chem. Commun., 49, 1425 (2013).
181. B. Maji and S. Bhattacharya, Molecular Design of Synthetic Benzimidazoles for the Switchover of the Duplex to the G-quadruplex DNA Recognition, Chimia, 67, 39 (2013). [Invited contribution to a special issue on Chemistry in India].
180. S. K. Samanta and S. Bhattacharya, Aggregation induced emission switching and electrical properties of chain length dependent pi-gels derived from phenylenedivinylene bis-pyridinium salts in alcohol-water mixtures, J. Mater. Chem., 22, 25277 (2012).
179. S. Bhattacharya and S. K. Samanta, Unusual Salt-Induced Color Modulation through Aggregation-Induced Emission Switching of a Bis-cationic Phenylenedivinylene-Based π-Hydrogelator, Chem.-A Eur. J. 18, 16632 (2012).
178. S. K. Samanta and S. Bhattacharya, Wide-Range Light-Harvesting Donor-Acceptor Assemblies through Specific Intergelator Interactions via Self- Assembly, Chem.- Eur. J., 18, 15875 (2012).
177. A. Pal, S. Datta, V. K. Aswal and S. Bhattacharya, Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Studies of Mixed Micellar Structures Made of Dimeric Surfactants Having Imidazolium and Ammonium Headgroups, J. Phys. Chem. B, 116, 13239 (2012).
176. B. S. Chhikara, S. K. Misra and S. Bhattacharya, CNT loading into cationic cholesterol suspensions show improved DNA binding and serum stability and ability to internalize into cancer cells, Nanotechnology, 23, 065101 (2012).
175. S. K. Misra, P. Moitra, B. S. Chhikara, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Loading of Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes in Cationic Cholesterol Suspensions Significantly Improve Gene Transfection Efficiency in Serum, J. Mater. Chem., 22, 7985 (2012).
174. A. Paul, B. Maji, S. K. Misra, A. K. Jain, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, Stabilization and Structural Alteration of the G-Quadruplex DNA Made from the Human Telomeric Repeat Mediated by Troger's Base Based Novel Benzimidazole Derivatives, J. Med. Chem., 55, 7460 (2012).
173. M. Munoz-Ubeda, S. K. Misra, A. L. Barran-Berdon, S. Dutta, C. Aicart-Ramos, P. Castro-Hartmann, P. Kondaiah, E. Junquera, S. Bhattacharya and E. Aicart, How Does the Spacer Length of Cationic Gemini Lipids Influence the Lipoplex Formation with Plasmid DNA? Physicochemical and Biochemical Characterizations and their Relevance in Gene Therapy, Biomacromolecules, 13, 3926 (2012).
172. A. Paul, A. Jain, S.K Misra, B. Maji, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, Binding of Gemini Bisbenzimidazole Drugs with Human Telomeric GQuadruplex Dimers: Effect of the Spacer in the Design of Potent Telomerase Inhibitors, PLoS ONE, 7(6), (2012) Article Number: e39467 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0039467.
171. A. Jain, A. Paul, B. Maji, K. Muniyappa and S. Bhattacharya, Dimeric 1, 3-Phenylene-bis (piperazinyl benzimidazole)s: Synthesis and Structure-Activity Investigations on their Binding with Human Telomeric G-quadruplex DNA and Telomerase Inhibition Properties, J. Med. Chem., 55, 2981 (2012).
170. S. K. Samanta, K. S. Subrahmanyam, S. Bhattacharya and C.N.R. Rao, Composites of Graphene and other Nanocarbons with Organogelators Assembled through Supramolecular Interactions, Chem. Eur. J., 18, 2890 (2012).
169. N. Kumari, S. Jha and S. Bhattacharya, A Chemodosimetric Probe Based on a Conjugated Oxidized Bis-Indolyl System for Selective Naked Eye Sensing of Cyanide Ions in Water, Chem.-Asian J., 7, 2805 (2012).
168. A. Jain and S. Bhattacharya, Recent Developments in the Chemistry and Biology of G-Quadruplexes with reference to the DNA Groove Binders, Curr. Pharm. Des., 18, 1917 (2012). [By Invitation for the Special Issue on G-Quadruplex Chemistry].
167. S. Datta and S. Bhattacharya, Evidence of Aggregation Induced Emission Enhancement and Keto-enol-tautomerism in a Gallic acid derived Salicylideneaniline Gel, Chem. Commun., 48, 877 (2012).
166. A. Paul and S. Bhattacharya, Chemistry and biology of DNA-binding small molecules, Curr. Sci. 102, 212 (2012) [By Invitation].
165. S. K. Misra, P. Kondaiah, S. Bhattacharya and C.N.R. Rao, Graphene as a Nano carrier for Tamoxifen Induces High Apoptosis in Transformed Cancer cell lines of different origins, Small, 8(1), 131 (2012).
164. J. Biswas, A. Bajaj and S. Bhattacharya, Membranes of Cationic Gemini Lipids based on Cholesterol with Hydroxyl Headgroups and their Interactions with DNA and Phospholipid, J. Phys. Chem. B, 115, 478 (2011).
163. S. K. Samanta, A. Pal and S. Bhattacharya, An Insight into Fiber-Solvent mediated Modulation of nano-fibrillar Organogels, Int. J. Nanosci., 10, 547 (2011).
162. S. Bhattacharya, and S. K. Samanta, Surfactants Possessing Multiple Polar Heads. A Perspective on their Unique Aggregation Behavior and Applications, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2, 914 (2011) [Invited PERSPECTIVES].
161. A.D. Tiwari, A.K. Mishra, S.B. Mishra, B.B. Mamba, B. Maji and S. Bhattacharya, Synthesis and DNA binding studies of Ni(II), Co(II), Cu(II) and Zn(II) metal complexes of N1,N5-bis[pyridine-2-methylene]-thiocarbohydrazone Schiff-base ligand, Spectrochim. Acta Part A 79, 1050 (2011).
160. S. Bhattacharya and J. Biswas, Vesicle and Stable Monolayer Formation from Simple ‘Click’ Chemistry Adducts in Water, Langmuir, 27, 1581 (2011).
159. A. Jain and S. Bhattacharya, Interaction of G-Quadruplexes with Nonintercalating DNA Minor Groove Binding Ligands, Bioconjugate Chemistry 22, 2355 (2011) [By Invitation]. [See also: Cover Page: Bioconjugate Chemistry]
158. S. Bhattacharya and J. Biswas, Role of spacer lengths of gemini surfactants in the synthesis of silver nanorods in micellar media, Nanoscale, 3, 2924 (2011).
157. J. Biswas, S.K. Mishra, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Syntheses, Transfection Efficacy and Cell Toxicity Properties of Novel Cholesterol-based Gemini Lipids having Hydroxyethylated Head group, Org. Biomol. Chem., 9, 4600 (2011).
156. N. Kumari, S. Jha and S. Bhattacharya, Colorimetric Probes based on Anthraimidazolediones for Selective Sensing of Fluoride and Cyanide ion via Intramolecular Charge Transfer, J. Org. Chem. 76, 8215 (2011).
155. M. Muñoz-Ubeda, S. Mishra, A. Barran-Berdon, C. Aicart, M. Sierra, J. Biswas, P. Kondaiah, E. Junquera, S. Bhattacharya, E. Aicart, Why is less Cationic Lipid Required to Prepare Lipoplexes from Plasmid DNA than Linear DNA in Gene Therapy? J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 133, 18014 (2011).
List of Publications in 2006-2010:
154. S. Bhattacharya and R. Varadarajan, Emerging Trends at the Interface of Chemistry and Biology: Applications to the Design of Human Therapeutics, Proc. of Ind. Acad. Sci. - Chem. Sci. 122, 97 (2010) [Invited Contribution].
153. S. Bhattacharya, P. Chaudhuri, A. K. Jain and A. Paul, Symmetrical Bisbenzimidazoles with Benzenediyl Spacer: The Role of the Shape of the Ligand on the Stabilization and Structural Alterations in Telomeric GQuadruplex DNA and Telomerase Inhibition, Bioconjugate Chem., 21, 1148 (2010).
152. A. K. Jain and S. Bhattacharya, Minor Groove Binding Ligands for Interaction with non B-DNA duplex and triplex DNA, Bioconjugate Chem., 21, 1389 (2010). [See also: Cover Page: Bioconjugate Chemistry]
151. S. Bhattacharya, and J. Biswas, Understanding of Membranes through Molecular Design of Lipids, Langmuir (Invited FEATURE article), 26, 4642 (2010). [See also: Cover Page: Langmuir]
150. S. K. Samanta, A. Pal, S. Bhattacharya, and C.N.R. Rao, Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Supramolecular Gels with Electrically Conducting, Viscoelastic and Near-Infrared Sensitive Properties, J. Mater. Chem., 20, 6881 (2010).
149. S. K. Samanta, A. Gomathi, S. Bhattacharya and C. N. R. Rao, Novel Nanocomposites made of Boron Nitride Nanotubes and a Physical Gel, Langmuir, 26, 12230 (2010).
148. J. Biswas, V. Guru Raja, and S. Bhattacharya, Biological and Materials Properties of Various Cholesterol based Systems, J. Ind. Inst. Sci., 89, 137 (2009) [Invited Contribution].
147. S. Bhattacharya, and N. Kumari, Metallomicelles as Potent Catalysts for the Ester Hydrolysis Reactions in Water, Coord. Chem. Rev., 253, 2133 (2009) (Invited Review).
146. A. Pal, H. Basit, S. Sen, V.K. Aswal and S. Bhattacharya, Structure and Properties of Two Component Hydrogels Comprising Lithocholic Acid and Organic Amines, J. Mater. Chem., 19, 4325 (2009).
145. S. Bhattacharya, and A. Bajaj, Advances in gene delivery through molecular design of cationic lipids, ChemComm, 4632 (2009) (Invited FEATURE article).
144. S. Bhattacharya and S. K. Samanta, Soft Functional Materials Induced by Fibrillar Networks of Small Molecular Photochromic Gelators, Langmuir 25, 8378 (2009) (Invited PERSPECTIVE article).
143. S. K. Samanta, A. Pal, and S. Bhattacharya, Choice of the End Functional Groups in Tri-(p-Phenylenevinylene) Derivatives Controls its Physical Gelation Abilities, Langmuir, 25, 8567 (2009).
142. A. Pal, A. Srivastava and S. Bhattacharya, Role of Capping Ligands on the Nanoparticles in the Modulation of Properties of a Hybrid Matrix of Nanoparticles in a 2D-Film and in a Supramolecular Organogel, Chem. Eur. J., 15, 9169 (2009).
141. A. Jain, V. Reddy, A. Paul, K. Muniyappa, and S. Bhattacharya, The synthesis and evaluation of a novel class of G-quadruplex stabilizing small molecules based on 1,3-Phenylene-bis(piperazinyl benzimidazole) system, Biochemistry, 48, 10693 (2009).
140. S. K. Samanta, S. Bhattacharya and P. Maiti, Coarse-grained Molecular Dynamics Simulation of the Aggregation Properties of Multi-headed Cationic Surfactants in Water, J. Phys. Chem. B, 113, 13545 (2009).
139. A. Bajaj, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Gene Transfection Efficacies of Novel Cationic Gemini Lipids Possessing Aromatic Backbone and Oxyethylene Spacers, Biomacromolecules, 9, 991 (2008).
138. A. Bajaj, S.K. Mishra, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Effect of the Headgroup Variation on the Gene Transfer Properties of Cholesterol based Cationic Lipids Possessing Ether Linkage, Biochem. Biophys. Acta (Biomembranes), 1778, 1222 (2008).
137. Bajaj, A.; Paul, B.; Kondaiah, P.; Bhattacharya, S., A Structure-Activity Investigation on the Gene Transfection Properties of Cardiolipin mimicking Gemini Lipid Analogues, Bioconjugate Chem.,19, 1283 (2008).
136. A. Bajaj, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Synthesis and Gene Transfection Efficacies of PEI-Cholesterol based Lipopolymers, Bioconjugate Chem., 19, 1640 (2008).
135. S. Bhattacharya and P. Chaudhuri; Medical Implications of Benzimidazole Derivatives as Drugs Designed for Targeting DNA and DNA Associated Processes, Curr. Med. Chem. 15, 1762 (2008).
134. S. Ghosh, D. Usharani, S. De, E. D. Jemmis and S. Bhattacharya, Photophysical and Duplex DNA Binding Properties of Distamycin Dimers based on 4,4' and 2,2'-Dialkoxyazobenzenes as the Core. Chem. Asian J. 3, 1949 (2008) [See also: Cover Picture: Photophysical and Duplex-DNA-Binding Properties of Distamycin Dimers Based on 4,4’ and 2,2’ -Dialkoxyazobenzenes as the Core, Chem. Asian J., 11, 1879 (2008).
133. S. Bhattacharya and A. Bajaj, Fluorescence and Thermotropic Studies of the Interactions of PEI-Cholesterol based PEI-chol Lipopolymers with Dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine Membranes, Biochem. Biophys. Acta(Biomembranes), 1778, 2225, (2008).
132. S. Ghosh, D. Usharani, A. Paul, S. De, E. D. Jemmis and S. Bhattacharya, Design, Synthesis and DNA Binding Properties of Photoisomerizable Azobenzene-Distamycin Conjugates: An Experimental and Computational Study, Bioconjugate Chem., 19, 2332 (2008).
131. A. Bajaj, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Effect of the Nature of the Spacer on Gene Transfer Efficacies of Novel Thiocholesterol Derived Gemini Lipids in Different Cell Lines: A Structure–Activity Investigation, J. Med. Chem., 51, 2533 (2008).
130. A. Pal, B.S. Chhikara, A. Govindaraj, S. Bhattacharya, and C.N.R. Rao, Synthesis and Properties of Novel Nanocomposites made of Single Carbon Nanotubes and Low Molecular Mass Organogels and their Thermo responsive Behavior Triggered by Near IR Radiation, J. Mater. Chem. 18, 2593 (2008).
129. S. Bhattacharya and A. Pal, Physical Gelation of Binary Mixtures of Hydrocarbons Mediated by n-Lauroyl-L-Alanine and Characterization of their Thermal and Mechanical Properties, J. Phys. Chem. B, 112, 4918 (2008).
128. H. Basit, A. Pal, S. Sen, and S. Bhattacharya, Two Component Hydrogels Comprising Fatty Acids and Amines: Structure, Properties and Application as Template for Metal Nanoparticle Synthesis, Chem. Eur. J., 14, 6534 (2008).
127. S. Bhattacharya and P. Chaudhuri, Metal Ion Mediated Tuning of Binding of Bis 2-(2-pyridyl)-1H-benzimidazole to Duplex DNA, Chem. Asian J., 2, 555 (2007).
126. A. Bajaj, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Synthesis and Gene Transfer activities of Novel Serum Compatible Cholesterol based Gemini Lipids possessing Oxyethylene type spacers, Bioconjugate Chem., 18, 1537 (2007).
125. P. Chaudhuri, B. Ganguly and S. Bhattacharya, An Experimental and Computational Analysis on the Differential Role of the Positional Isomers of Symmetric Bis 2-(pyridyl)-1H-benzimidazoles as DNA Binding Agents, J. Org. Chem. 72, 1912 (2007).
124. A. Bajaj, B. Paul, S. S. Indi, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Effect of the Hydrocarbon Chain and Polymethylene Spacer Lengths on Gene Transfection Efficacies of Gemini Lipids based on Aromatic Backbone, Bioconjugate Chem., 18, 2144 (2007).
123. A. Bajaj, P. Kondaiah and S. Bhattacharya, Design, Synthesis and In Vitro Gene Delivery Efficacies of Novel Cholesterol based Gemini Cationic Lipids and Their Serum Compatibility: A Structure-Activity Investigation, J. Med. Chem., 50, 2432 (2007).
122. S. Bhattacharya, and A. Bajaj, Membrane Forming Properties of Pseudoglyceryl backbone based Gemini Lipids Possessing Oxyethylene Spacers, J. Phys. Chem. B, 111, 2463 (2007).
121. P. Chaudhuri, H.K. Majumdar and S. Bhattacharya, Synthesis, DNA Binding and Leishmania Topoisomerase Inhibition Activities of a Novel Series of Anthra[1,2-d] imidazole-6,11,dione Derivatives, J. Med. Chem., 50, 2536 (2007).
120. A. Pal, Y.K. Ghosh and S. Bhattacharya, Molecular mechanism of physical gelation of hydrocarbons by fatty acid amides of natural amino acids, Tetrahedron (Symposium-in-Print), 63, 7334 (2007).
119. S. Bhattacharya and A. Bajaj, Thermotropic and Hydration Studies of Membranes Formed from Gemini Pseudoglyceryl Lipids possessing Polymethylene spacers, Langmuir, 23, 8988 (2007).
118. S. Bhattacharya and A. Bajaj, Membrane Forming Properties of Gemini Lipids Possessing Aromatic backbone between the Hydrocarbon chains and the Cationic Headgroup, J. Phys. Chem. B, 111, 13511 (2007).
117. S. Bhattacharya, A. Srivastava, A. Pal, Modulation of Viscoelastic Properties of Physical Gels by Nanoparticle Doping: Influence of the Nanoparticle Capping Agent, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 45, 2934 (2006).
116. B. Paul, A. Bajaj, S.S. Indi and S. Bhattacharya, Synthesis of novel dimeric cationic lipids based on an aromatic backbone between the hydrocarbon chains and headgroup, Tetrahedron Lett. 47, 8401 (2006).
There are 115 number of more publications during the year 1987-2005 in different Internationally peer-reviewed journals.
ACADEMIC HONORS AND AWARDS
Chemcon Distinguished Indo-US Speaker award (2018)
Visiting Professor, London Science Museum, London, UK, (2018)
Invited Professeur in the Ecole Normale Superieure d'ingénieur de Chimie à Montpellier: ENSCM, Montpellier, France (2013)
Visiting Scientist, School of Medicine, Deakin University, Geelong, Australia (2013)
Elected Member of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Trieste, Italy (2012)
Visiting Scientist, Department of Physical Chemistry, Complutense Universitat, Madrid, Spain (2011)
Editorial Advisory Board Member, Bioconjugate Chemistry, American Chemical Society (2011-2013)
TWAS Prize in Chemistry, The World Academy of Sciences, Trieste, Italy (2010)
Editorial Advisory Board Member, Langmuir, American Chemical Society (2008 - 2016)
Invited Professor in the University of Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, CEDEX 9, France (2007, 2008)
JSPS Invitation Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, RIKEN, Saitama, Japan (2004-05)
Invited Professor in the LEDSS, University of Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, CEDEX 9, France (2002)
National Institute of Health Research Associateship, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA (1989-91)
Bevier Fellowship for the most outstanding performance in the graduate program, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08854, USA (1988)
Garden State fellowship, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08854, USA (1988)
Marion Johnson Fellowship, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08854, USA for excellent performance in the research program (1987)
Morgan Fellowship, for the best performance in the Department of Chemistry, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08854, USA (1987)
Ranbaxy Research Award-2013 for excellence in original research work in Pharmaceutical Sciences (2015).
Honorary Professor, Chemical Biology, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Jakkur, Bangalore, India (2013 - present).
OPPI Scientist Award, Organization of Pharmaceutical Producers India (2009) (awarded by the former President of India)
Silver Medal, Chemical Research Society of India (2009)
Sir J.C. Bose National Fellow, Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi, India (2008 - present) (given to the very top scientists of the country).
G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research (2007-2008)
Elected Fellow of The Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, India (2007)
First CDRI Award for Excellence in Drug Research, CDRI, Lucknow (2004)
Bhagyatara National Award in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University (2004)
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award for Chemical Sciences, CSIR, Government of India (2003) (awarded by the then Hon’ble Prime Minister of India) [Highest award of the country in Science & Technology given up to the age of scientists up to 45 years]
National Bioscience Award for Career Development, DBT, Government of India (2003)
Bronze Medal, Chemical Research Society of India (2001)
Elected Fellow of The Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, India (2000)
Bronze Medal, Materials Research Society of India (1999)
Swarnajayanti Fellowship Award for Biological Sciences, DST, Government of India (1998) (awarded by the then Hon’ble Prime Minister of India) [Highest award of the country given up to the age of scientists below 40 years]
Honorary Faculty Member, Chemical Biology Unit, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore (1997-2012)
B.M. Birla Prize in Chemistry (1997)
National Institute of Health Post-doctoral Associateship, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA (1989-91).
Ph.D. Dissertation Support Award, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08854, USA (1988).
CSIR Fellow (qualified at the first CSIR National Test), University College of Science, Calcutta, WB, India (1983).
P.B. Sarkar Memorial Prize, West Bengal (1979).
National Merit Scholarship, Govt. of India (1978).
1. A reusable charge transfer based agrogel. Santanu Bhattacharya, Subham Bhattacharjee, Dipen Biswakarma, Deepa Bhagat. (application number PCT/IN2018/050292)
2. Method And Device For Rapid Detection of HearNPV. Santanu Bhattacharya, Nilanjan Dey, Deepa Bhagat. (application number PCT/IN2018/050365)
3. Optical nanosensor for early stage detection of Bactocera oleae infestation. Santanu Bhattacharya, Rudra Pratap, Parikshit Moitra and Deepa Bhagat. (application number PCT/IN2017/050025)
4. A Pheromone Detector. Santanu Bhattacharya, Rudra Pratap, Parikshit Moitra and Deepa Bhagat. (application number WO 2016/059641 A1)
1. A Novel Turn-on Probe or Easy, Rapid and Accurate Quantification of Human Serum Albumin Present in Biological Fluids. Santanu Bhattacharya, Parikshit Moitra, Pranay Saha and Urmimala Bhatttacharjee. Indian Patent Applied through TIFAC. TIFAC has forwarded the application to ITAG Business Solutions Ltd. for filing (2018)
2. Rapid on-field detection of Spilosoms obliqua nucleopolyhedrovirus. Santanu Bhattacharya, Nilanjan Dey, Dipen Biswakarma, Deepa Bhagat and G. Shivakumar. (application number 201841046880)
3. Selective Detection of Pheromone of the Olive Fruit Fly, Bactocera oleae. Santanu Bhattacharya, Rudra Pratap, Parikshit Moitra and Deepa Bhagat. (application number IN 2015CH03696 A 20170120)
4. A reusable charge transfer based agrogel. Santanu Bhattacharya, Subham Bhattacharjee, Dipen Biswakarma, Deepa Bhagat.(application number 201741016464)
5.Method And Device For Rapid Detection of HearNPV. Santanu Bhattacharya, Nilanjan Dey, Deepa Bhagat.(application number 201741019790)
6. A kit for specific detection of SlNPV. Santanu Bhattacharya,Nilanjan Dey,Dipen Biswakarma, Deepa Bhagat.(application number 201741040904)
7. A Pheromone Detector. Santanu Bhattacharya, Rudra Pratap, Parikshit Moitra and Deepa Bhagat. (application number IN 2014CH05201 A 20160701)
8.Surface functionalization for sensing of volatile organic carbonyl compounds. Santanu Bhattacharya, Parikshit Moitra and Deepa Bhagat.(application number IN 2014CH05166 A 20160701)
9. Nanogels, methods and devices thereof, for managing Holtrichia Consanguinea. Santanu Bhattacharya, Subham Bhattacharjee and Deepa Bhagat.(application number 2016 41024309)
10. Nanogels, methods and device thereof in pest management. Prof. Santanu Bhattacharya, Dr. Deepa Bhagat, Suman Kalyan Samanta. Indian patent granted (IN 2014CH00372 A 20151009)
Distinguished IACS Fellow,
School of Applied and Interdisciplinary Sciences,
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science.
Phone: +91 33 2473 4688 (O)
+91 33 2473 4971 Ext.2101
Fax: +91 33 2483 6561
List of Alumni:
List of Doctoral Students:
 Dr. (Ms.) Karnam Snehalatha (1997)
Placement: Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Geneva, Switzerland.
Present Address: Research Associate, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
 Dr. Subhrangsu Sekhar Mandal (1998)
Placement: Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research Postdoctoral Fellow, Univ. of Alberta, Canada.
Present Address: Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, Univ. Texas, Arlington, TX, USA. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. (Ms.) Soma De (1999)
Placement: Alexander von Humboldt Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany.
Present Address: Adjunct Faculty, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 110 8Th Street, Troy, New York 12180, USA. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. (Ms.) Sangita Ghosh (1999)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratoire de Chimie Organique des Substances Naturelles, Associé au CNRS, Centre de Neurochimie, Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France.
Present Address: Senior Director, Pharmaceutical Development, Adamas Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Emeryville, CA, USA. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. S. N. Ghanashyam Acharya (1999)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA.
Present Address: Asst. Professor, Dept. of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Saubhik Haldar (2000)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA.
Present Address: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Jadavpur University, India. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. (Ms.) Yamuna Krishnan (2001)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK.
Subsequent Address: Associate Professor ‘G’, National Centre for Biological Sciences, TIFR, UAS-GKVK, Bellary Road, Bangalore 560 065, India.
Recent Address: University of Chicago as a Professor in the Department of Chemistry.
 Dr. (Ms.) Mini Thomas (2002)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA.
Present Address: Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.
 Dr. Dileep P. Vangasseri (2003)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Pharmacogenetics, School of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA.
Present Address: Senior IP Professional at John F. Welch Technology Center, GE India Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Akash Gulyani (2004)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Scripps Research Inst. La Jolla, CA, USA.
Present Address: Faculty Fellow, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, TIFR, UAS-GKVK, Bellary Road, Bangalore 560 065, India. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Jayanta Haldar (2004)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA.
Present Address: Associate Professor, New Chemistry Unit, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Jakkur, Bangalore 560064, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. V. Praveen Kumar (2005)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology in Harvard Medical School, USA.
Present Address: Faculty Fellow, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, TIFR, UAS-GKVK, Bellary Road, Bangalore 560 065, India. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. (Ms.) Smita Sarkar (2005)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA.
Present Address: Intellectual Property Analyst in SABIC Research and Technology Private Limited Plot No. 81 to 85, Village Chikkadunnasandra Anekal: Taluk, Off Sarjapura, Attibele State Highway, Bengaluru 562125, Karnataka, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Aasheesh Srivastava (2006)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Materials Research Laboratory (MRL) & Mitsubishi Chemicals Center for Advanced Materials, University of California Santa Barbara, USA.
Present Address: Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhopal, India. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. (Ms.) Sumana Ghosh (2006)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, USA.
Present Address: Senior Scientist at Vyome Biosciences, Patpargang Industrial Estate, New Delhi, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. (Ms.) Padmaparna Chaudhuri (2007)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Nano-medicine, BWH-HST Center for Biomedical Engineering, Harvard Medical School, MA, USA.
Present Address: Research IP professional, GE Life Sciences Division, GE India Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore, India. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Avinash Bajaj (2008)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, USA.
Present Address: Associate Professor & Ramanujan Fellow, The Laboratory of Nanotechnology and Chemical Biology (LNCB), Regional Centre for Biotechnology (RCB), Biotech Science Cluster (BSC), Gurgaon-122016, Haryana, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Asish Pal (2008)
Placement: Post Doctoral Fellow, Molecular Science and Technology, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands.
Present Address: Associate Professor (Scientist E) at Institute of Nano Science and Technology Mohali, India. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Joydeep Biswas (2010)
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California San Diego, USA;
Present Address: Assistant Professor II, Department of Chemistry, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Majitar, Rangpo, Sikkim 737136, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. (Ms.) Ananya Paul (2011)
Placement & Present Address: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Suman K. Samanta (2012)
Placement: Alexander von Humboldt Post Doctoral Fellow, Makromole-kulare Chemie, Bergische University of Wuppertal Gaußstr. 20, 42119 Wuppertal, Germany and Research Associate II at Director’s Research Unit, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Jadavpur, Kolkata 700032, West Bengal, India and Post-Doctoral Fellow, Prof. Joon Hak Oh's Research Group, Department of Chemical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 77 Chungam-ro, Namgu, Pohang, Gyeongbuk, 37673, South Korea.
Present address: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, IIT Kharagpur. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. (Ms.) Namita Kumari (2013)
Placement: Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Chemistry, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Santosh K. Misra (2013)
Placement: Postdoctoral Research Associate, MatMed Group, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.
Present Address: Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, IIT Kanpur. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Basudeb K. Maji (2013)
Placement & Present Address: Postdoctoral Researcher at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Post-Doctoral Fellow at Harvard Medical School. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. V. Gururaja (2014)
Placement & Present Address: Postdoctoral Researcher at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Subham Bhattacharjee (2014)
Placement & Present Address: Postdoctoral Researcher at Eindhoven University of Technology. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Sougata Datta (2014)
Placement: & Present Address: Postdoctoral Associate, Prof. Peter J. Stang's group, Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, 315 South 1400 East, RM 2224, Salt Lake City, UT 84112. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Asfa Ali (2014)
Placement & Present Address: Postdoctoral Researcher at University of Wisconsin-Madison. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Krishan Kumar (2015)
Placement & Present Address: Postdoctoral Researcher at Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur, J. L. N. Marg, Jaipur 302 017, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Nilanjan Dey (2018)
Placement and present address: JSPS postdoctoral researcher at Japan, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
List of Post-doctoral Students:
 Dr. Kaliappa G. Ragunathan
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA.
Present Address: Senior Scientist at BASF Corporation, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA.
 Dr. Shaji K. George
Present Address: Senior General Manager, Process Research and Development at LUPIN LIMITED, Pune, India.
 Dr. Uma S. Hiremath
Placement & Present Address: Researcher, Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences, Jalahalli, Bangalore 560 013. India.
 Dr. Marappan Subramanian
Placement: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of California at Riverside, CA, USA.
Present Address: Helios Biosciences Inc. Cambridge, MA, USA.
 Dr. (Ms.) Kakali Rudra
Present Address: Senior principal Investigator at Syngene International Limited, Bangalore
 Dr. Yashveer Singh
Placement: Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France, and Department of Pharmacy, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, USA.
Present Address: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, Nangal Road, Rupnagar, Punjab 140001, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Hajra Basit
Worked as a project assistant.
Present Address: Marie Curie Fellow, Chemistry Research Laboratory, 12 Mansfield Road, University of Oxford, Oxford, OX1 3TA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Saturdu Jha
Worked as a DBT Postdoctoral Fellow
Placement: Assegno di Ricerca, Department of Chemical Sciences University of Padova, Padova, Italy.
Present Address: Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Majitar, Rangpo, Sikkim 737136, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Bhupendra S. Chikkara
Worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow under the Nanoscience & Nanotechnology Scheme of the Department of Science & Technology.
Placement: Department of Biomedical & Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island 02881, USA.
Present Address: Dr. B. S. Chhikara, Editorial Manager, Journal of Materials Nanoscience, ISSN 2394-0867, Integrated Science Journals. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Late Akash Jain
Worked as a DBT Postdoctoral Fellow.
He was an Independent Scientist of the Department of Science & Technology under the Fast Track Scheme.
 Dr. Deepa Bhagat
Worked as a DBT Postdoctoral Fellow
Placement: University of California, Davis, CA, USA.
Present Address: Senior Scientist, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, National Bureau of Agriculturally Insect Resources, Bangalore 560 024, India. E-mail: email@example.com
 Dr. Durgadas Cherukaraveedu
Worked as Dr. DS Kothari Post doctoral Fellow, Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012, India.
Present Address: Post-doctoral Researcher in Bradley Research Group at the University of Edinburgh. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Dr. Pradyot Koley
Worked as DST Postdoctoral Fellow at Director’s Research Unit, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Jadavpur, Kolkata 700032, West Bengal, India.
Present Address: Scientist C at Technology Development Board, Department of Science and Technology, GOI. E-mail: email@example.com