The Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Biology works on the gene regulation, protein chemistry, molecular interaction and signalling pathways to understand the various cellular functions such as adhesion, division and migration which are basic fundamental processes in a living system. Our protein of interest is Nonmuscle Myosin II (NM II) which is ubiquitously expressed in mammals. We wish to investigate 1) the genetic regulation of NM II by mi-RNAs, lnc-RNA, 2) the splicing mechanism of NM II heavy chain pre-mRNAs in neuronal cells, 3) the signalling pathways for cellular transformation, cellular migration, vesicle trafficking and mechanosensing, 4) the delivery of drug into the cell. We use mouse model for in vivo and variety of cell lines for in vitro studies.
B.Sc. Chem (H), RKMRC, Narendrapur, University of Calcutta
M.Sc. (Biotechnology), IIT-Bombay
Ph.D. (Biochemistry), University of Delhi South Campus
Postdoctoral training (Biochemistry/Cell Biology) NHLBI, NIH, USA
Professor @ IACS, 2017
CSIR-Senior Research Fellow PhD fellow Functional importance of NMIIs in endocytosis. Date of Joining: April, 2017 email@example.com
CSIR-Junior Research Fellow PhD fellow
Functional role of spliced isoform of NMII in neuronal cell
Date of Joining: August, 2017
CSIR-Senior Research Fellow PhD fellow
Membrane protrusion activities vs NMIIs activities
Date of Joining: February, 2018
DST-INSPIRE Senior Research Fellow PhD fellow
Regulation of NMII expression in Breast cancer by miRNAs.
Date of Joining: March, 2018
Senior Research Fellow PhD fellow
To understand the splicing mechanism of NMIIs.
Date of Joining: August, 2018
Junior Research Fellow PhD fellow
Post translational modification
Date of Joining: 2021
CSIR Junior Research Fellow Joining date - October, 2023
Mail id - firstname.lastname@example.org
BS-MS Student Master’s Fellow
Date of joining: July 2022
MS-PhD Master’s Fellow Date of joining: May 2023
BS-MS Student Master’s Fellow Date of joining: 2023
ICMR-RA Post Doctoral fellow
Targeted drug delivery system in cancer cell line
Date of joining: February, 2021
RA Post Doctoral fellow
Date of joining: 2023
A brain specific alternatively spliced isoform of nonmuscle myosin IIA lacks its mechanoenzymatic activities. Das S, Mallick D, Sarkar S, Billington N, Sellers JR, Jana SS. J Biol Chem. 2023, 299(9):105143.
Assembly and disassembly dynamics of nonmuscle myosin II control endosomal fission. Kar J, Kar S, Gupta A, Jana SS. Cell Rep. 2023 Feb 11;42(2):112108. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2023.112108. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36774549.
Switching between blebbing and Lamellipodia depends on the degree of Nonmuscle Myosin II activity. Ghosh I, Singh RK, Mishra M, Kapoor S, Jana SS. J. Cell Sci. (2020) doi: 10.1242/jcs.248732
Non-muscle myosin IIA and IIB differentially modulate migration and alter gene expression in primary mouse tumorigenic cells. Halder D, Saha S, Singh RK, Ghosh I, Mallick D, Dey SK, Ghosh A, Das BB, Ghosh S, Jana SS. Mol Biol Cell. 2019,30(12),1463–1476
Complete list of Publications:
52) Expression of nonmuscle myosin IIC is regulated by non-canonical binding activity of miRNAs. Banerjee K, Saha S, Das S, Ghosal S,Ghosh I, Basu A, Jana SS. iScience. 2023, Vol 26, Issue 12, 108384.
51)A brain specific alternatively spliced isoform of nonmuscle myosin IIA lacks its mechanoenzymatic activities. Das S, Mallick D, Sarkar S, Billington N, Sellers JR, Jana SS. J Biol Chem. 2023 299(9):105143.
50) Impact of HMGB1 binding on the structural alterations of platinum drug-treated single dsDNA molecule. Mondal S, Banerjee S, Dey D, Lahiri H, Mana T, Jana SS, Mukhopadhyay R.Biochimie. 2023, 213:168-175.
49) Investigation of codon alternation patterns in two neurodegenerative diseases through numerical representation and codon classification. Sengupta A, Chakraborty S, Pal Choudhury P, Roy S, Das J K, Mallick D, Jana SS. Gene Reports. 2023, (31):101771
48) Assembly and disassembly dynamics of nonmuscle myosin II control endosomal fission. Kar J, Kar S, Gupta A, Jana SS. Cell Rep. 2023, 42(2):112108. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2023.112108. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36774549.
47) Direct Correlation between the Secondary Structure of an Amphiphilic Polymer and Its Prominent Antiviral Activity. Nag A, Banerjee K, Barman R, Kar J, Sarkar DP, Jana SS, Ghosh S. J Am Chem Soc. 2023 Jan 11;145(1):579-584.
46) D155Y substitution of SARS-CoV-2 ORF3a weakens binding with Caveolin-1. Gupta S, Mallick D, Banerjee K, Mukherjee S, Sarkar S, Lee ST, Basuchowdhuri P, Jana S S. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2022;20:766-778.
45)Shape-Dependent Cellular Uptake of Nanostructures Produced from Supramolecular Structure-Directing Unit-Appended Hydrophilic Polymers. Rajdev P, Dey P, Ghosh I, Khamrui R, Kar J, Jana S S, Ghosh S. ACS Macro Letters. 2021, 10, 1467-1473,
44) Nonmuscle Myosin II in cancer cell migration and mechanotransduction. Halder D, Mallick D, Chatterjee A, Jana SS. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2021,139,106058.
43) MRX8, the conserved mitochondrial YihA GTPase family member is required for de novo Cox1 synthesis at suboptimal temperatures in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Verma Y, Mehra U, Pandey DK, Kar J, Pérez-Martinez X, Jana SS, Datta K. Mol Biol Cell. 2021, 25:mbcE20070457.
42) Switching between blebbing and Lamellipodia depends on the degree of Nonmuscle Myosin II activity. Ghosh I, Singh RK, Mishra M, Kapoor S, Jana SS. J. Cell Sci.2021,134(1):jcs248732
41) Evaluation of tubulin targeted pyrimidine indole hybrid molecule as an anticancer agent. Bose C, Banerjee P, Kundu J, Dutta B, Ghosh I, Sinha S, Ghosh A, Barua A, Gupta S, Das U, Jana SS, Sinha S. ChemistrySelect. 2020, 5, 14021.
40) Molecular conservation and Differential mutation on ORF3a gene in Indian SARS-CoV2 genomes. Hasan SS, Choudhury PP, Basu P, Jana SS. Genomics. 2020, 112:3226-3237
39) Missense mutations in SARS-CoV2 genomes from Indian patients. Hasan SS, Choudhury PP, Roy B, Jana SS. Genomics. 2020, 112: 4622-4627
38) Biomarkers of Metabolic Disorders and Neurobehavioral Diseases in a PCB- Exposed Population: What We Learned and the Implications for Future Research. Simhadri JJ, Loffredo CA, Trnovec T, Murinova LP, Nunlee-Bland G, Koppe JG, Schoeters G, Jana SS, Ghosh S Environmental Research. 2020, 191:110211
37) Mechanistic studies of in vitro anti-proliferative and anti-inflammatory activities of the Zn(ii)–NSAID complexes of 1,10-phenanthroline-5,6-dione in MDA-MB-231 cells. Deb J, Lakshman TR, Ghosh I, Jana SS, Paine TK. Dalton Transactions. 2020, 49 (32), 11375-11384
36) A Numerical Representation and Classification of Codons to Investigate Codon Alternation Patterns during Genetic Mutations on Disease Pathogenesis. Sengupta A, Choudhury PP, Chakraborty S, Roy S, Das JK, Mallick D, Jana SS. bioRxiv. 2020
35) Amino-alcohol Bio-conjugate of Naproxen Exhibits Anti-inflammatory Activity through NF-κB Signaling Pathway. Das MR, Banerjee A, Sarkar S, Majumder J, Chakrabarti S, Jana SS. bioRxiv 2020
34) Non-muscle myosin IIA and IIB differentially modulate migration and alter gene expression in primary mouse tumorigenic cells. Halder D, Saha S, Singh RK, Ghosh I, Mallick D, Dey SK, Ghosh A, Das BB, Ghosh S, Jana SS. Mol Biol Cell. 2019 Apr 17:mbcE18120790. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E18-12-0790.
33) Differential Role of Nonmuscle Myosin II Isoforms during Blebbing of MCF-7 Cells Dey SK, Singh RK, Chattoraj S, Saha S, Das A, Bhattacharyya K, Sengupta K, Sen S, Jana SS. Mol Biol Cell 2017, 28(8):1034-1042. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E16-07-0524.
32) Structural Oscillations of Non–muscle Myosin II–C2: Time Resolved Confocal Microscopy Chattoraj S, Saha S, Halder D, Jana SS, Bhattacharyya K. Chemistry Select 2017, 2 953–958
31) Mathematical Characterization of Protein Sequences Using Patterns as Chemical Group Combinations of Amino Acids. Das JK, Das P, Ray KK, Choudhury PP, Jana SS.PLoS One 2016, 11(12):e0167651.
30) N-terminal polar amino acids of the C2 insert regulate functional properties of Nonmuscle Myosin II-C2 Saha S, Halder D, Goswami S and Jana SS. FEBS Lett. 2016, 590:4223-4232
29) pH-Triggered Sustained Drug Delivery from a Polymer Micelle having the β-Thiopropionate Linkage. Pramanik P, Halder D, Jana SS, Ghosh S. Macromol Rapid Commun. 2016 Sep;37(18):1499-506.
28) miRepress: modeling gene expression regulation by microRNA with non-conventional binding sites. Ghosal S, Saha S, Das S, Sen R, Goswami S, Jana SS, Chakrabarti J. Sci Rep. 2016, 6:22334.
27) Molecular association of glucose-6-phosphate isomerase and pyruvate kinase M2 with glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase in cancer cells. Das MR, Bag AK, Saha S, Ghosh A, Dey SK, Das P, Mandal C, Ray S, Chakrabarti S, Ray M, Jana SS. BMC Cancer. 2016,16:152.
26) Phosphorylation of Nonmuscle myosin II-A regulatory light chain resists Sendai virus fusion with host cells. Das P, Saha S, Chandra S, Das A, Dey SK, Das MR, Sen S, Sarkar DP, Jana SS*. Sci Rep. 2015, 5:10395.
25) Role of Nonmuscle Myosin II in Migration of Wharton’s Jelly-derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Arora S, Saha S, Roy S, Jana SS, Ta M. Stem Cells Dev. 2015 Sep 1;24(17):2065-77. doi: 10.1089/scd.2015.0095.
24) Exploiting supramolecular synthons in designing gelators derived from multiple drugs. Roy R, Deb J, Jana SS, Dastidar P.Chem. Eur. J. 2014, 20:15320-4.
23) A novel naproxen derivative capable of displaying anti-cancer and anti-migratory properties against human breast cancer cells. Deb J*, Majumder J, Bhattacharya S, and Jana SS*. BMC Cancer 2014 14:567.
22) Regulation of nonmuscle myosin II during 3-methylcholanthrene induced dedifferentiation of C2C12 myotubes. Dey SK, Saha S, Das P, Das M, Jana SS*. Exp Cell Res (2014), 326:68-77.
21) Role of Red-Ox Cycle in Structural Oscillations and Solvation Dynamics in Mitochondria of Live Cell. Chattoraj S, Chowdhury R, Dey S, Jana SS*, Bhattacharyya K*. J Phys Chem B. 2014, PMID:4811047.
20) Peptide Conjugates of a Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug as Supramolecular Gelators: Hydrogels of Indomethacin for Plausible Self-delivery Applications. Roy R, Deb J, Jana SS* and Dastidar P* Asian Chemistry Journal, 2014, 9 (11):3196-206
19) Designing simple organic salt based supramolecular topical gel capable of displaying in vivo self-delivery application. Majumder J, Das MR, Deb J, Jana SS*, Dastidar P*. Chem Commun. 2014, 50:1671-1674.
18) Dynamics of silencing a gene in a live cell: Stochastic resonance. Chattoraj S, Saha S, Jana SS*, Bhattacharyya K*. J Phys Chem Lett. 2014, 5: 1012-1016.
17) Inhibition of Non Muscle Myosin II Leads to G0/G1 Arrest of Wharton’s Jellyderived Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Sharmaa T, Kumaria P, Pinchaa N, Mutukulaa N, Saha S, Jana SS, Ta M. Cytotherapy. 2014, 5:640-52.
16) Remarkably Stable Amphiphilic Random Copolymer Assemblies:A Structure- Property Relationship Study Dan K, Rajdev P,Deb J, Jana SS, Ghosh S J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2013 (DOI: 10.1002/pola.26922)
15) Amphiphilic random copolymer vesicle induces differentiation of mouse C2C12 myoblast. Dey SK, Dan K, Das M, Saha S, Das P, Ghosh S*, Jana SS*. Biomater. Sci. 2013, 1, 1211–1215
14) β-Amino Acid and Amino-Alcohol Conjugation of a Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) Imparts Hydrogelation Displaying Remarkable Biostability, Biocompatibility, and Anti-Inflammatory Properties. Majumder J, Das MR, Deb J, Jana SS*, Dastidar P*. Langmuir. 2013;29 (32):10254-63.
12) Hydrogen-bonding-induced chain folding and vesicular assembly of an amphiphilic polyurethane. Mondal T, Dan K, Deb J, Jana SS, Ghosh S*. Langmuir. 2013 Jun 4;29 (22):6746-53.
11) The effect of including the C2 insert of nonmuscle myosin II-C on neuritogenesis. Saha S, Dey SK, Biswas A, Das P, Das MR, Jana SS*. J Biol Chem. 2013 Mar 15; 288(11):7815-28.
10) Site-specific covalent attachment of heme proteins on self-assembled monolayers. Mukherjee S, Sengupta K, Das MR, Jana SS, Dey A*. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2012 Oct;17(7):1009-23.
9) Increased expression of Nonmuscle Myosin IIs is associated with 3MC induced mouse tumor. Saha S, Dey SK, Das P, Jana SS*. FEBS J. 2011, 278, 4025-4034.
8) Ablation of Nonmuscle Myosin II-B and II-C Reveals a Role for Nonmuscle Myosin II in Cardiac Myocyte Karyokinesis. Ma X, Jana SS, Anne Conti M, Kawamoto S, Claycomb WC, Adelstein RS*. Mol Biol Cell. 2010 Nov;21(22):3952-3962.
7) An alternatively spliced isoform of non-muscle myosin II-C is not regulated by myosin light chain phosphorylation. Jana SS*, Kim KY, Mao J, Kawamoto S, Sellers JR, Adelstein RS*. J Biol Chem. 2009; 284:11563-71.
6) A specific isoform of nonmuscle myosin II-C is required for cytokinesis in a tumor cell line. Jana SS, Kawamoto S, Adelstein RS. J Biol Chem. 2006; 281:24662-70.
5) Vertebrate nonmuscle myosin II isoforms rescue small interfering RNA-induced defects in COS-7 cell cytokinesis. Bao J, Jana SS, Adelstein RS. J Biol Chem. 2005; 280:19594-9.
4) Identification and characterization of nonmuscle myosin II-C, a new member of the myosin II family. Golomb E, Ma X, Jana SS, Preston YA, Kawamoto S, Shoham NG, Goldin E, Conti MA, Sellers JR, Adelstein RS. J Biol Chem. 2004; 279:2800-8.
3) Targeted cytosolic delivery of hydrogel nanoparticles into HepG2 cells through engineered Sendai viral envelopes. Jana SS, Bharali DJ, Mani P, Maitra A, Gupta CM, Sarkar DP. FEBS Lett. 2002; 515:184-8.
2) Sustained activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and activator protein 1 by the hepatitis B virus X protein in mouse hepatocytes in vivo. Nijhara R, Jana SS, Goswami SK, Rana A, Majumdar SS, Kumar V, Sarkar DP. J Virol. 2001 Nov; 75:10348-58.
1) An internal segment (residues 58-119) of the hepatitis B virus X protein is sufficient to activate MAP kinase pathways in mouse liver. Nijhara R, Jana SS, Goswami SK, Kumar V, Sarkar DP. FEBS Lett. 2001; 504(1-2):59-64.
1.Cell and developmental biology
2. Molecules of life and the fundamentals of living system
1.Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology
2. SERB Distinguished Investigator Award
3. Editorial Board Member- Scientific Reports
Siddhartha Sankar Jana, PhD
School of Biological Sciences
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
Phone: +91 33 2473 4971/3372 (Ext 1519)
Fax: +91 33 2473 2805
E-mail: email@example.com, Siddhartha.firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Shekhar Saha
PhD Students: (2008-2015), Post-Doc, University of Virginia, USA
Dr. Sumit K Dey
PhD Students (2010-2015), Post-Doc, Cornell University, USA
Dr. Provas Das
PhD Students (2010-2017), Post-Doc, Baylor University, USA
Dr. Mahua R. Das
PhD Students (2010-2017), Associate Scientist, GVK Bioscience Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad
Dr. Debdatta Halder
PhD Students (2013-2019), Post-Doc, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
Raman K Singh
M.Sc Students (2015-2018), PhD, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
M.Sc Students 2016, PhD, Ohio State University, USA
M.Sc Students (2017-2019), PhD, IISc Bangalore
M.Sc Students (2018-2020)
M.Sc Students (2019-2021), PhD, IISc Bangalore
Master’s Fellow (2022-2023), PhD, The Ohio State University
BS-MS STUDENT (2022-2023), PhD, Cologne Graduate School of Ageing Research.
BS-MS Student Master’s Fellow
Date of joining: January 2022
Dr. Subhadip Chakraborty
Postdoctoral Fellows (2016-2017), Assistant Prof. at WBCSC
Dr. Kavita Ghosal
Postdoctoral Fellows (2017-2019), Assistant Professor, P.D women's college, Jalpaiguri
Dr. Jolly Deb
Postdoctoral Fellows (2012-2015), DST women scientist